Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive never replaced a clutch before, but i would like to learn, so i have added this to my to do list.

i kinda want to do a little more research on this, i did a search and im the only one who has posted anything about clutches :p

i was wondering if there are any clutch experts out there? i know a standard OEM clutch disc will be a vast improvment over the slipping disc i am using now, but while im down there i might as well upgrade to a performance model... any suggestions?

i know i will have to move the t-case and tranny back, disonnecting the driveshaft, and unbolt the clutch housing frome the engine, and replace the clutch disc and throwout bearing,

sounds pretty simple to me ;) just kidding, i know it will take a few hours for someone who has never done it before. but i have a great shop with tools and lifts so im not extremely worried, my haynes manual has gotten me through everything else...

also, since this is a hydrolic clutch, im assuming on an 89 it is, is there an adjustment that i can make to tighten things up in there so i dont slip until i put a new one in? i looked in the tranny access panel and it seems to me my disc is still pretty thick,

so boys, what do you think??

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 93 EB cruiser
361 Posts
there is no adjustment, that's why hydro clutches are so cool :thumbup
just make sure you bleed it well and that your pressure plate is good and that's about all you can do to make sure it doesn't slip. it's also advisable to have the flywheel trued and be sure to hit the pilot bearing with some grease or replace it if it's in bad shape. make sure the pressure plate doesn't have bent fingers and that it's disc surface is ok... that could potentially cause slipping even when the clutch disc still has plenty of meat. you will have to remove the hydro line in order to pull the tranny back, so either get the cheap special tool for the tranny side or just remove the rollpin up at the master cylinder, either way will work. once it's all back together, make sure the hydro line isn't near the exhaust at any point... don't ask why i mention this ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
ya, main thing is make sure to get the flywheel resurfaced, and most of the time when you go buy clutchs the pressure plate is either included in the deal, or not much more, even tho you could re-use the old one i'd still get a new one, other than that, have fun :D lol...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so while im in there...
- flywheel trued and resufaced
- clutch disc
- throwout bearing
- grease or replace pilot bearing
- replace preasure plate
sounds like fun!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i buy a "clutch kit" from broncograveyard or summit will that include everything i need to replace ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts