Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to pops today, and since we are "borrowing" this mig, and the attachements and parts for adding gas are gone, and he'd like to return it to the owner, he said he would split the cost of a mig with me.

Im planning to get used on craigs. Any suggestions for models. Im thinking probably 110V or so and definatly with gas sheilding this time around. DAnny what was your model again?

Ive played around a bit with this lincoln 125. Its got .035 (i think the 0 is in there) flux core. But I wouldnt say I have any experience

Thanks all

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
i am presently saving to buy one, but when i do, its gonna be the lincoln electric 140t or c.. i have never welded, but i have read alot and this one looks good/
mj

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn oatmeal, im trying to keep this to 400-500 bucks used or new. Thanks though.

I just need a mig, something nice and simple with gas shielding. I think that Lincoln 140C is a good idea, but then I need to be around a 220+ outlet correct?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Damn oatmeal, im trying to keep this to 400-500 bucks used or new. Thanks though.

I just need a mig, something nice and simple with gas shielding. I think that Lincoln 140C is a good idea, but then I need to be around a 220+ outlet correct?
What do you intend to use this for?

If you are going to use it for projects with your truck...i.e. SAS, skid plates, crossmembers, whatever...almost all that fab is thicker steel where a 230V welder will be way better and you'll be thanking yourself for being so smart to buy one.

otherwise the 110v is fine

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Definitely go with a 220 model. I have a Lincoln Pro 175 Plus.

Here a pic of the Pro 175 (no plus).

It would be slightly cheaper since the dials are continuous, unlimited wire speed/heat adjustment, not set detents. No big deal. I got mine used for 500 bucks from an ad in the paper.

I love it. Didnt come with a bottle though. You should definitely be able to find a brand name used 220 MIG for that price range you are looking for.

·
Registered
604 Posts
220 for sure, unless its not an option. Do not buy a cheap one. you wont know what a good weld, and proably not have good welds with a walmart brand welder.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Unless all you're doing is sheet metal work definitely skip over the 110v welders and get a 220v one. Even the smallest of the 220v models, those being in the 175 amp range, are massively better than the 110v ones. You're doing the right thing looking around for a used one. I got a steal on a 200amp Lincoln Mig a few years ago for $600, and I love it. It even came loaded with a full 44 pound spool of wire, and I still haven't gone through the whole spool. It'll weld so hot that I've never had a use for the two top settings. I'm pretty sure that I'd need to move up to .045 wire to use them.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i dont 100% agree with dave... but then i do too... there are several 120v models out that can do anything you need... i did my entire SAS with a 110v snap on... HOWEVER... 110v is limited compared to 220v and 110v is gonna make your electric meter spin 100 mph... imagine running 4 hair dryers at once if not more...

also remember when buying that a 1/4" capacity welder technically means that it can weld 1/4" max... thats 1/8inch to 1/8inch joint

dc

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
i dont 100% agree with dave... but then i do too... there are several 120v models out that can do anything you need... i did my entire SAS with a 110v snap on... HOWEVER... 110v is limited compared to 220v and 110v is gonna make your electric meter spin 100 mph... imagine running 4 hair dryers at once if not more...

also remember when buying that a 1/4" capacity welder technically means that it can weld 1/4" max... thats 1/8inch to 1/8inch joint
dc
I don't know what this even means. there is no such thing as a 1/4" capacity welder.

I do know that a 115V Hobart welder only shows up to 3/16th in the guide as max it's able to weld IN A SINGLE PASS with proper voltage, speed, and wire.

my 230v will do 1/4" in a single pass. And that's 1/4" welded to 1/4". I can do 3/8th's or thicker if I wanted, but I'd likely need to do more than one pass for a proper weld.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
One indisputable fact is you very rarely see people bitching about having a welder that's too big. Conversely, you see people very frequently bitching about having a welder that's not big enough. When you consider that it will likely only cost about 20% more to buy a modest 220v machine over a 110v machine, it becomes clear that the 220v machine is the better buy.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
You have to have an outlet to plug the 220 into. while that's not that big a deal, if you don't have one in your garage, you'll have to become an electrician or pay one to put one in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
well I have the millermatic 210 and it is was a step down from their bigger one but will weld any thing that I am going to put in front of it
www.supermotors.net/getfile/605435/fullsize/a-new-toy.jpg
I was always told to get bigger than what you think you are going to need and if you don't have a 220 plug then go 110

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have a hobart 135 MIG that I picked up to do sheet metal work and light fab, does everything I've asked it to. For bigger stuff I have a rod welder. I decided I could save a couple bucks on a MIG by getting a smaller one since I already did all of my heavy fab with the rod welder.

But if you're doing a 1 welder setup I'd skip over the 110V MIGs and go for a 220. Even though you can run 1/4" with a 110 MIG, it takes a long time since you'll be outrunning the duty cycle of the welder. It's nice to be able to grab my stinger and do 3/8 in two quick passes or weld 1/4" all day long every day.

Justin

·
Registered
95 Posts
Go for a 220, I thought I would save some cash buy getting a 110v Lincoln sp135t. The duty cycle sucks on 110's for anything thicker than sheet metal. I grew some cajones the other week and bought a Millermatic 212, best decision I have ever made. This baby will burn wire into any kind of steel I will ever need it to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
110 will do a great job but as you learn the art you will increase the application to lets say brush gaurd and the like, then you'll need to to up grade to something that will give you a good bead along with speed:twak

1 - 18 of 18 Posts