Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see where alot of you guys are advancing your timing more beyond the 10 degrees the sticker says. What difference does this make and will it do anything on a stock engine. Or does it only matter if you upgrade the ignition system? BTW, my truck is an 86 F 150 with the 302 fuel injected engine.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
motors run better at different advances most of the fords i had like 13-18 degrees. but remember at smog check time to back it down or it will fail. i just put mine back to 15 advance (checked with the vac advance unit disconnected and plugged or newer motors pull the spout connector).....mike

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
dgmid61 said:
I see where alot of you guys are advancing your timing more beyond the 10 degrees the sticker says. What difference does this make and will it do anything on a stock engine. Or does it only matter if you upgrade the ignition system? BTW, my truck is an 86 F 150 with the 302 fuel injected engine.

Thanks
My 86 likes 13.5 (so does my 90 Lincoln and three other unrelated 5.0 litres I've done)

and runs fine on 87 octane. It helps the off-idle acceleration "hop" and all the way up the rev range and it will up the mileage a bit too.

This is all assuming your plug wires, cap and rotor are up to the job. If they're not, get really good aftermarket wires. The next trick is open up the plug gaps to .055 from the stock .042-.046. (big improvement). Don't do that until you get the MSD coil and better plug wires on there though.

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
Larston said:
Another reason to bump timing is to compensate for altitude. Around here (5300 feet), everything gets 4 degrees extra as a starting point.
Larston

I remember Denver racers used to have to change their carbs around when they raced away from home. Does your fuel injection compensate well on it's own ?

Sixlitre

1 - 5 of 5 Posts