Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my waterpump was leaking in my 96 so i said to myself "yeah! i finally have a reason to do the timing chain in my 180k motor!" got it all apart in almost record time (broken bolt waisted 3 hours of my life) but then i realised my timnig chain has very little wear to it. when i went to the parts store however they asked if i wanted "roller" or "silent" timing chain. we didnt know what the silent style was so i got a double roller. however im guessing my stock chain was silent according to google pictures. its dark now so i cant work on it anymore but now i can ask 2 questions:

which is better style, double roller or "silent" type of timing chains. if my stock style is silent and its original with 180k with little slak that seams really durable but i like opinions

also my double roller came with the ability to advance or retard 2/4/6/8* of timing. it sayd advancing increases lowend torque while retarding increases high speed hp. i perfer lowend way more then speed that i never go over 65mph. id think id advance maby 4* and let it wear back down to 2 and standard over time unless someone disagrees

1 - 1 of 1 Posts