Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought me a summit racing brand timing chain for my 351m. I bought it because it was the least expensive one, at the time of purchase, that was setup to advance or retard the timing. As my current motor is just a holdover, till I can get my 400 from a coworker, and get it rebuilt, I didn't want to spend much. My question is, which timing setting should I use on this? The instructions provided were not very clear. IIRC, my motor was retarded 4 degrees from the factory. My motor is all original, so it has the factory timing setup. Do I set my timing, on this new set, to 0 or to 4 degrees advance? I did some searching, but really couldn't seem to come up with a clear answer. :whiteflag

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g6621-9/overview/make/ford

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
I also agree with setting it to 0 or straight up

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then that is what I will be doing. Hoping I can get the old chain off, and new one on, tonight. Wanting to get this old bird on the road before the bad winter weather hits, in case my g/f needs to borrow my truck to get to work. She has an AWD Dodge Avenger, but I don't trust Mopar. She might, but I sure don't. :toothless

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok it is installed, hopefully I did it right. I lined up the timing marks on the old chain before I uninstalled it, and then put the new chain on, with the 0 setting lined up to the chain. Is that correct? Also made sure the pin on the crank was top center before installing. I know I was told to line it up with 0, but for some reason I am wanting to think the line up was the same on the stock timing chain, as 0 was with this new one from summit.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a picture of how it looks, btw. Timing mark is hard to see, on the cam side, but it is lined up with the 0 on the crank side, which is on the keyway of the crank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts