Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have about 167k miles on my bronco and i was wondering if i should replace the timing chain. i will be replacing the water pump and radiator anyways and i just figured while i have all that room that i could easily replace it. any help is appreciated.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
I think you should replace while you are in there. I don't think it adds much time to the job, exclusive of broken bolts. get the roller chain set.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
go for it.

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
DON,T BREAK THE BOLTS. IT,S VERY EASY TOO DO. USE HEAT IF NEED BE. BUT DON,T BREAK THE BOLTS. THIS HAPPENS TO SUCK VERY BAD. GOOD LUCK!!!!
p.s. it happened too me.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
bdawg said:
DON,T BREAK THE BOLTS. IT,S VERY EASY TOO DO. USE HEAT IF NEED BE. BUT DON,T BREAK THE BOLTS. THIS HAPPENS TO SUCK VERY BAD. GOOD LUCK!!!!
p.s. it happened too me.
I dont think anyone Intentionally try to break bolts.:rockon

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
bdawg said:
p.s. it happened too me.
:stupid You mean like this?
(cross section of bolt permanently rusted into the timing cover.)

Of course I had no choice. They were welded to the timing cover. I had to cut up part of my cover to get it off.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
tylersbronco said:
i have about 167k miles on my bronco and i was wondering if i should replace the timing chain. i will be replacing the water pump and radiator anyways and i just figured while i have all that room that i could easily replace it. any help is appreciated.
You're definately more than halfway in

with what you're already going to do. I stopped during my water pump change and went back to the parts place for a chain and more gaskets, when I realized how close I was to it.

Check your harmonic balancer for a wear groove on it's snout. If it's grooved a new timing chain seal won't help as it will still leak. I bought FelPro's TC gasket set that includes the new repair sleeve and the loctite;

There's a couple of tricks to make the job easier outlined in my write up here;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=18193#content

Such as glueing the corner gaskets on the night before so they don't slide all over creation as you're trying to the case levered down onto the oil pan;

and the water pump write up is here for you;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=18192#content

Good luck

Sixlitre

·
Registered
304 Posts
I did one today at work on a 5.0L F150... When she booked her truck in I made note to her that these bolts break if they are badly rusted and if they do, then it becomes time consuming to get them out.... So she dropped of her truck last night while we were closed... she left a note with her keys that read:

"I spoke to Ford about the broken bolts you warned me aout. they told me this is a very rare problem that only occure when an in-experienced mechanic works on your vehicle. If you feel you are not capable of getting these bolts out without breaking them, please call me ASAP so I can pick up my truck and take it to a shop with an experienced ford mechanic"

some people are funny!!! I got all 4 out happily... I have had very good luck with all the timing colvers I have done... in about 50, I have had one bolt break.... knock on wood.... no heat, tap tap tap with an air gun and away they go....

Do the chain while you have the water pump off... it 15 more mins to get the chain in your hands, but iy leaves you with an extra hour of cleaning to do :(

good luck!!!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
MrBob said:
... she left a note with her keys that read:

"I spoke to Ford about the broken bolts you warned me aout. they told me this is a very rare problem that only occure when an in-experienced mechanic works on your vehicle. If you feel you are not capable of getting these bolts out without breaking them, please call me ASAP so I can pick up my truck and take it to a shop with an experienced ford mechanic"

some people are funny!!!
That's hillarious:histerica :histerica

and it proves Ford is willing to lie, lie, lie through their teeth

Glad it went well for you

Sixlitre

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
$hyt like that makes me wonder sometimes why I even bother driving one....

Anywho, not a bad idea to replace it, but I'd advise against a double-roller. They stretch like nobody's business, or at least many of them do. The one I recently removed from the Mustang had an inch of play, and I was darn lucky it didn't jump a tooth; I'd been wondering why that E-cam had such a smooth idle compared to when I first installed it. Guess the timing mark jumping all over the place should've been an indication. LoL.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
SigEpBlue said:
$hyt like that makes me wonder sometimes why I even bother driving one....

Anywho, not a bad idea to replace it, but I'd advise against a double-roller. They stretch like nobody's business, or at least many of them do. The one I recently removed from the Mustang had an inch of play, and I was darn lucky it didn't jump a tooth; I'd been wondering why that E-cam had such a smooth idle compared to when I first installed it. Guess the timing mark jumping all over the place should've been an indication. LoL.
Hey, easy on Ford

Remember the Corvair ? Monza ? Celebrity ? Citation, Vega ? Corsica ? the corporate 305 grenade engine ? All the manufacturers have problems.

Timing chains stretch, but they're far better than belts. I was just watching Motoring 2006 and the Quarker State mechanic Bill Gardner was just praising Honda for going back to the timing chain.

As loose as a chain can get, even if it jumps a tooth or two, it's still preferable to what happens when your rice-mobile's belt breaks.

Sixlitre

1 - 15 of 15 Posts