Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace my water pump with a hi-flow water pump. I also want to replace the timing chain. I have did a search with not much help. I wanted to know is there any advantage to a double roller or should I just get the standard? Does it come with the gears or should I get those new too? Advance Auto has an Edlerbrock for $33. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have a 89 5.0l no mods as of yet.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,737 Posts
Yeap, I have seen an old ford one of a 79, those timing chains stretch this one was super loose

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
mines overdue by about 14,000 miles. ive never had to replace one, even on my caprice with 295,000 miles.
Most people dont replace them, they just wait till they break. Then, depending on piston to valve clearance they usualy rebuild the heads too.

Sometimes they last 150,000 somtimes 500,000 but the recomended replacment intervul is 100,000 miles.

If you have over 100,000 miles and are replacing the water pump you might as well replace the chain, your already 80% of the way there to do the pump.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 94,000 on it. I did read if you replace the water pump that the timing is a good idea since you are already there. I will need new bolts. I did a search a found out about ARP but I read that they are not long enough. Is the a parts dealer that sells the bolts long enough?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
PAW is a good source for fastners. Have the description and measurements on them before you call though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BlueBronco said:
PAW is a good source for fastners. Have the description and measurements on them before you call though.
Is there a website? Maybe I do what others did and take one of the bolts out and take it to a hardware store.

For the timing chain is there one brand better than the other or just get the best deal I can?

Same with the water pump. I have only seen 2 companies that make them Edlerbrock and milodon. Is there one better than the other?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
They have a website but they don't list their parts online. The have catalogs and you can order by phone. You could take it too a hardware store or napa to look for the right fastener. As far as timing set goes Cloyes is pretty good.The big thing is to get an American made double roller set.

·
I see Broncos
6,035 Posts
Also take a good look at your T-chain cover. It's rare but it could be worn near the water jackets.

As for me looks like I'm 130K overdue. Ahh I have been planning on freshing up the valvetrain anyway. Gotta pay off the tranny first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are the Bronco engines non-interference, so it's safe to let the timing chain break without bending valves and damaging pistons...?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
DWB1975 said:
I have 94,000 on it. I did read if you replace the water pump that the timing is a good idea since you are already there. I will need new bolts. I did a search a found out about ARP but I read that they are not long enough. Is the a parts dealer that sells the bolts long enough?
The only ones that fit are the top 3 short ones. Just go to an auto parts store and get a set of grade 8 bolts in the correct length. And get some anti-sieze and put on any of the bolts going in to or through aluminum.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
free5ty1e said:
Are the Bronco engines non-interference, so it's safe to let the timing chain break without bending valves and damaging pistons...?
You will bend shit up if the chain breaks. Only engines that won't are some of the engines with timing belts

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I broke all the teeth off my cam gear on my `86, and after fixing that, drove it another 50K miles.

I think 5.0s are non-interference.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I will go with an American made double roller timing chain. After do some research I see a high flow water pump may not be the way to go. How many of you out there have a hi-flow water pump and have had problems. The problem I read is that the pump moves the water to fast and the radiator can not keep up. SO should I get a high capacity raditor?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Just some words of warning: I've had TWO double-roller timing sets stretch horribly. The first was after only ~3000 miles, the second after ~15000. It was so bad that when you tried setting the timing with a timing light, the mark would move back and forth with each flash by about 8 degrees. I just disassembled that motor, and you could almost get the chain to jump a tooth (probably could if I really wanted to).

If you decide to get a double-roller, make it not only American (mine were), but high quality. You get what you pay for.

How old and how many rows is your current radiator?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
It doesn't matter how fast the water is going to go. The radiator is going to extract the maximum amount of heat out of the coolant as it can, reguardless of flow. There arent any problems with high flow pumps... Remember, depending on your climate, think about how often your thermostat is open anyways.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts