Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y’all,
So I recently had a radiator shop replace my water pump and radiator in my 1996 with a 351. After getting it back for a few days I’ve noticed antifreeze on my parking spot and I’ve traced it back to the passenger side coolant passage on the timing cover and the two bolts on either side. (See in photo) There is no coolant in my oil. So my question is does this look like the gasket under the cover has gone bad or maybe an issue with the bolts?

There are no leaking hoses and I have no pooling on the top of the cover. I’ve seen several other threads talking about timing cover leaks in the driver side but nothing about the passenger side.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Some of those water pump bolts are used for and go through the timing cover. I guess taking them out while replacing the water pump loosened the timing cover...causing your new leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of those water pump bolts are used for and go through the timing cover. I guess taking them out while replacing the water pump loosened the timing cover...causing your new leak.
That makes sense. Thank you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I saw a post in the “pics of your engine” thread where a dude put a whole bunch of gasket sealant on the areas in your picture. He said it was a temporary fix but apparently kept it for years. Could save you time now but it’ll be a mess later.

EDIT: Just checked. It wasn’t that thread. Maybe it was a post about timing. Regardless, your leak doesn’t look that bad. It can wait for a proper repair later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts