Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I just resealed about every thing on my engine from the heads to oil pan rear and front main and all the rest. When I did the timing cover I used the felpro set from summit and it went on without much trouble, I torqued it down and then put the harmonics balancer on, is this my problem, I also didn’t use gasket sealer so I guess that could be a problem, what should I do?

·
Super Moderator
29,107 Posts
Yo Mason,
I didn't see a reference to use of gasket
sealer in 1996 Ford Bronco/F Series Workshop Manual;
" Front Cover Installation
  1. CAUTION: Do not use solutions such as brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner, etc., as these solutions can leave a residue on the machined surfaces. Use only a cleaner which meets or exceeds Ford specification WSE-M5B392-A, such as Metal Surface Cleaner F4AZ-19A536-RA or equivalent.
    Clean the engine front cover, and the cylinder block gasket surfaces. Clean the oil pan gasket surface where the oil pan (6675) and engine front cover fasten.
    Install a new crankshaft front seal (6700).
  1. Lubricate the timing chain/belt (6268) and sprockets with heavy engine oil.
  1. Position the engine front cover on the cylinder block (6010). Use care when installing the engine front cover to avoid crankshaft front seal damage or possible gasket mislocation.
  1. Install the engine front cover and water pump.
  1. For 5.8L engine, hand-start bolts in holes 3, 4, 6, 10, 12, 13, and 14. For 5.0L engines, install bolts in holes 14 and 15 and tighten to 8-13.5 Nm (70-120 lb-in)."

Reactions: 93Mason

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks I think I may get a new gasket and do it again with the bolt pattern this time

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L E4OD, Manual Transfer Case, Manual Locking Hubs
44 Posts
I would recommend using gasket sealer when reinstalling the timing cover. I just recently had mine off and used the gasket and sealer on both sides before reinstalling. Where the cover meets the oil pan is an awkward fit I think it would be much harder to get it sealed without some gasket sealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts