Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just replaced the gears and chain. pulled out the old seal and am ready 4 the new. question is should the new seal be pressed in from the inside of the cover or from the out side. the new seal from a Fel-pro set has a flange on the spring side of the seal. is this the right seal? Pics below, new on left old on gight.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
If your talking about the front seal for the crank, IIRC it is suppose to be put in from the FRONT of the timing cover, im pretty sure you can only put it in one way anyhow. Just make sure to put it in the same way it came out.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Looks like the one I have in mine.

It goes in from the outside.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
cover on the right is from the carbed cover....

so unless who ever worked on the motor before me and installed it wrong...thats how it was installed when I pulled it apart.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
cover on the right is from the carbed cover....

so unless who ever worked on the motor before me and installed it wrong...thats how it was installed when I pulled it apart.
It looks like it was installed wrong then, because every one I've ever seen went in from the outside.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
It looks like it was installed wrong then, because every one I've ever seen went in from the outside.
wouldnt suprise me but the first time I changed out the water pump I also did the seal...and was pissed that I had to pull the cover off to do it...also the gasket kit I bought had two different front seals in it.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
wouldnt suprise me but the first time I changed out the water pump I also did the seal...and was pissed that I had to pull the cover off to do it...also the gasket kit I bought had two different front seals in it.
Yeah, they made it so you can re and re the seal with out having to dismantel the whole front of the motor.
Thankfully for that because after replacing a timing chain rescently, the rubber on the seal I replaced folded in on itself when I installed the vibration dampener (due to the timing cover opening not being centred to the crank, never had that problem before) anyways it ended up dripping the next day and I was able to replace the seal in less than an hour.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got it all together and fired up just need to retime it. Haynes and chiltons manual says spring side of seal faces the block. So that seal goes in cover inside out?? it don't leak and no more noises.

while I'm here does any one remember how to set up a dwell meter. this winsor has points, i know how to set the timing just never messed with the dwell. darn it sticky keys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts