Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made a visualization of how far a Bronco can be tipped before the uphill wheels lose contact with the ground. The visualization uses an '88 Bronco with 2" Lift and 33" ATs. The calculation is based on NHTSA Data for a 1988 Bronco (46 degree tip with stock Bronco) and some trig to account for the lift, as described in the Noobie corner:

Now show us any pics of your rig in the tilt!

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,352 Posts
I don’t have any pics yet, but I think I’ve had my 78 somewhere around the 20-25 mark while off-road based on your pics. It definitely feels like more than it looks. I was going uphill on the lava rock where I live and had to turn 90* while on the side of the hill due to some large boulders.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Interesting. I searched the Internets for this, but what is the smart thing to do if you feel you are going to roll? I would think you'd want to turn downhill, what is the answer?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I searched the Internets for this, but what is the smart thing to do if you feel you are going to roll? I would think you'd want to turn downhill, what is the answer?
Yeah, point downhill and creep along. Unless it gets even steeper downhill, but that's rare.

Same thing at high speed on level ground. Point the vehicle to its down hill side.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,037 Posts
Turning to the inside of the tilt puts the vehicle sway onto the uphill tires against the lean and once your starting into the downhill your stance goes from side to side, to front and rear even at a slight angle.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,475 Posts
I've been at 30° or so. In a ditch. My window "sill" was even with the ground and my passenger tires still on the road. That was many moons ago, before phones had even decent cameras.

·
Super Moderator
14,539 Posts
That's pretty cool..the one thing it doesn't take into account is the surface you're on..A slick muddy hill or gravelly surface you'll lose grip way before that 43 degrees, versus dry rock..

Not exactly sure what the grade is but I've been in some steep stuff where I was scared it was going over...the fear of flipping over backwards is a lot worse that putting it on it's side..just saying..

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,441 Posts
Keep your arms INSIDE THE VEHICLE and use your SEAT-BELT!!! This may sound obvious but it's human nature and force of habit to want to try and "catch" yourself. I've seen experienced wheelers do it and it scared the willies out of me.

I've hit a few nasty angles and enjoyed the adrenaline rush but getting out to take a picture wasn't an option I was going to entertain at the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts