Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my wife's Prius detailed for our anniversary, I know real romantic. Question is after spending almost $200 for the job, is there still a need to kick the guy(s) who did the work something extra? If so what is fair? I work in a tipping job so I do not want to be a cheap bastage but I am a cheap bastage

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
No you don't tip at the detailers.... Why would you? They probably keep the coins they find under the seats anyways.

My wife wanted a camp chair for our anniversary.. :)

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Run the car through the car wash and vacuum it out yourself... and hand her the 200 dollars- I gurantee Wileec gets Steak and beer fer dinner.

·
Registered
728 Posts
12 pack of Corona if you're happy with the job they did. They next time you go in (reads: your car/truck) they'll do an even better job, set yourself up for success!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Tip after a $200 glorified car wash? Hell no.
My exterior buffs typically run north of that mark, I have $75-$125 in material on some of them. Overglorified car wash my ass.

Yes tip.

5 star restaurant, $100 a plate... would you not tip?

Same difference, you are tipping to show appreciation to the person who provided the service.. regardless of price charged by business for services rendered.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My exterior buffs typically run north of that mark, I have $75-$125 in material on some of them. Overglorified car wash my ass.
I might spend that to buff out my 15YO Bronco if you could make it look like new, but why does a fairly new Prius need it?

·
'05 Excursion Limited
1,662 Posts

Yes tip.

5 star restaurant, $100 a plate... would you not tip?

Same difference, you are tipping to show appreciation to the person who provided the service.. regardless of price charged by business for services rendered.
:bs If it is costing you that much in materials cost you are doing it very very wrong or you are just talking out of your ass. In the last 16 years I've done everything from being the newest detalier in the shop to being the district detail manager for an 8 franchise dealer group here in eastern PA to running my own business on the side the last 3 of those years. Even now, not buying in bulk, my materials cost is under $25 per vehicle on average using Ardex, Meguiars, and Pro chemicals.

To the OP, slip the guy an extra $10 if you want. He will appreciate it. He probably makes $8-12/hr and you just bought him a few beers or lunch. Another thing he will appreciate? Take all of your personal belongings out before you drop off the car. For one it makes his job easier and also eliminates any temptation.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Rich folk who can afford to have there cars detailed at $200.00 should tip.

Po Folk like me that spend all day doing it themselves don't need to worry about such things :thumbup

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Norton ice $30 quart, Norton sand paper 1500 grit and 3000 grit discs, occasionally 4k grit, the higher grit discs are a foam and they run $5ish a piece, 2 or 3 of those, the lesser grit are $.80 a piece, typically dust a dozen of those or so, 3m polishing pads, the white cutter is like $10 a piece, the blue Ultrafina is like $20 a piece..
It all adds up, large enough rig, e.g. crew cab, dust the better part of a quart and a half of Norton, $40, $25 or so in paper, half a pint of Limco acryl ensm for the touch up work, gouges, rock chips etc, and then reducer and hardener... my chemical bill is typically 40% of gross. My dealer I do the bulk of my work for pays 2-300 for a complete job.

I sorta have three grades, good better best... good I bill $40-50 for, couple hours in it, polishes it, not a real scratch getter outer, mild yes, serious no... Better is typically $75 or so.. 3-5 hours in it, most of the scratches out, have to look close (12" off the paint and be LOOKING for them) to see what I leave... Best is a full sand with 1500 on the DA and 3000 on the DA, then a double polish, 3M white to polished, 3M blue to perfect reflection, no swirl, etc.

Buying Mequiars is like paying Town Car Cartier edition prices for a ex LEO Vicky... Despise Mequiars... Turtle wax does equally as well....

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
As a caveat, my "good" is better than the typical "best" my "better" has no rival.. and my BEST people think its a show rig, and rightly so.

90% of the rigs out there have a panel or 12 reshoot somewhere in their history, and painters just don't take the time on the average shoots to match factory for the most part...

This was straight 1000 and then a buffer... then polishing rouge on the aircleaner when i was done. The engine bay alone was 3-4 hours of acid, degreaser and Landa... Got to love the Landa....

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174295

Oh, and a half pint of paint on the bumper and rims..... shouldn't have pushed it off to the last minute.... they would have had better gloss, typically I candy clear in with the single stage for the top coat. I paint out side, that tends to "flash dry" the paint, and sets a skin that prevents dirt from accumulating...

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Did you find my hubcap yet? :goodfinge

My rule of thumb is if it's an owner operator type setup then no, I don't tip.
The owner is the employee and if he's underpaid that's his fault. :toothless

I have slipped tips to the shmoes at the carwash detail places, but always to the guy who actually did the work, not the fawktard who wandered over at the last minute to fill time before his break.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
I can see where it can add up, thanks for the explanation. You also have to factor in the cost per detail for all your machinery, insurance and taxes. If you haven't tried menzerna polishes, give those a try. Head and shoulders above the rest, no or very low oils and finish squeaky clean, no gumming at all sometimes just a tad dusty. I've tried over 20 compounds, now stick with menzerna. Some people don't understand what goes into a high end detail, it is not the same thing as just washing and waxing a car.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Might give the menzerna a try. Yeah, equipment cost is a sore subject right now, bought a Metabo for my aluminuminum polishing.... $300 for this stupid polisher, some places had it for closer to 5.... 11 hours of use, and it died, int he middle of the job.. their 3 year no question asked drop and swap (how it was explained to me) warranty is a jaoke... send it in, stateside or Germany, no idea.... and then $40 to get it back... Grrr... Love the Hitachi I use though..

And that Damned Norton is a dusty compound, but it cuts like none other.... 3 stage as well, rough cut to finesse, it is the shi-ite..

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
This is a trick question. We own Broncos. None of us know what the Hell detailing is. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts