Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the only other damage I need to tackle before I can get my quarter panels on.
IMG_20200516_182416663_HDR.jpg

Needs done on both sides. My question is, what is the easiest way to fix it? Obviously I need to cut out the bad and weld in new metal, but do I need to be the exact shape,
or can I do a simpler shape to box that back in?

Or if anyone can point me to a post that covered something like this. I tried looking but can't seem to find what I need.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,379 Posts
Could you add a few more pictures so we can see a bit more of what you are working with? I know this is behind the rear leafs but what does the area around that look like? It is hard to tell from that one picture. Maybe a photo zoomed out a bit.....

From what I can see from this picture, I would find a donor Bronco in the junkyard and cut out the exact piece to replace your rotted out piece.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here you go. Ignore the pieces of metal and welds around it. I was forced to have a guy weld a plate over that or it wouldn't pass inspection... So I cut it off so I could actually see what I need to remove.
IMG_20200524_063449862.jpg

IMG_20200524_063521139.jpg

IMG_20200524_063508492.jpg

IMG_20200524_063529670.jpg

I like the idea of just cutting it from another bronco. However the chances of me finding one in my area not already rotted out is going to be very low.

I will def check around though first.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree, finding a donor that isn't also rotted would be hard depending on where you live. I think fabbing up a new support would work fine as long as the panels mount up properly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah probably my only option. Was hoping to find a build thread or something that covers that area to get some ideas. Looking like I might just have to wing it!

·
Registered
375 Posts
The bumper wraps around that area, right?
You probably wont see most of what you repair
If you do make a piece, copying those radiused corners will be the trick
What about using real thick steel (3/16" thk) and radiusing the corners with a tiger paw?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah you won't be able to see any of it. Since the quarter panel will go over it.

Good idea with the drain holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts