Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just on a tire chain website and they said that "4wd vehicles require chains on all four tires unless stated otherwise by mfg." Do I need to buy 2 sets or just 1 set for my Bronco ?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So its not an issue of 4wd binding from the increased diameter while in 4wd ? I wonder why they "tirechains.com" said that- I understand that 4 chains are better than 2 but jeeez.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
I wonder why they "tirechains.com" said that- I understand that 4 chains are better than 2 but jeeez.
It's so the most unedumacatid ppls buy 2 sets (assuming they come it 2 chains per set) and tirechains makes mo moneys off em ;)

KC

·
Registered
826 Posts
Its better to have them on all 4. If you have them on the front only youll be more likely to fishtail but have good steering and if you put them on the rear only youll have forward motion but poor steering.
I figure if its bad enough to need chains might as well stay home or run all 4 wheels with chains.
That said, If I had only one pair of chains they would go on the front. I figure the forward pull + steering is better.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd email the company and ask them to explain. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to run them on just the rear.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,571 Posts
Chains kick ass for icy winter wheeling.

Couldn't even walk up the damn hill to check it out - stuck it in 4lo, made the pedal hit the floor and we were up :D

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kyle, If I was doing anything like what you are doing I sure would get 2 sets, That looks like fun.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,571 Posts
Kyle, If I was doing anything like what you are doing I sure would get 2 sets, That looks like fun.
Oh yeah - some of the best wheeling is to be had in the winter... at night :thumbup

·
Registered
861 Posts
ive never tried the chain thing, necessary if i go with mud tires or just a/t?

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
A/T tires will work just fine in light snow.

V-Bar (or Ice Chains) are great in ice.

Also, consider your available clearance before purchasing chains. If you are stock with large tires you may have to go with low profile chains.

When I get to the point of having to chain-up, I always chain all four tires in order to have the pulling effect from the front.
------------------------------
Regarding tires, my experience is that a wide tire track tends to "plow" with resistance through deep snow and dig in, sometimes to a point of bottoming out to your frame. This can occur even with chains on. Friends with tall thinner track tire cut through deep snow with much less resistance, and tend to stay on top of the snow.

Wide tires do not "float" on snow, they sink in until they compact enough snow to suport the vehicle weight. The goal is less forward resistance in order to continue forward movement. Then again, it depends on the depth of the snow.

In deep snow conditions you must also consider the temperature. During daytime hours, or when the sun is out, the snow tends to become mushy and heavy making it even more difficult to plow through and this increases the opprtunity to become stuck. Then you may have to wait until it refreezes during the evening in order to get out, unless you have a tow vehicle or winch.

When I am off-road in the snow I always carry chains for all four tires as I tend to progress until I can go no further. At that point, it is a little difficult to call for assistance...

Be self limiting and carry the right tools! Spending the night in the snow is not a lot of fun... :shocked

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.