Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1990 Bronco and am having a humming noise, that sounds like tire noise, coming from (what seems to be) the driverside front of the truck. It only sounds when I give her gas, and as soon as I let off on the gas it stops. Any ideas of what could be causing it??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Got the same problem in my front when in 4x4 and in the rear it started just recently... Im starting to think its bearings based on what people are telling me and not finding anything wrong when I opened it up. I wanna believe these humming noises are pinion bearings, but I dont know how to tell for certain if a pinion bearing is good or bad.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Noises are hard to pin point online, but it sounds unusual that you would be getting this "hum" noise from the right front wheel? Especially when you say it occurs under acceleration only?

I would be inclined to look into drivetrain bearing issues from the transmission backward ... unless you are changing the load on the front hub bearing somehow by accelerating?

Are you sure it's not a vacuum or exhaust leak on the engine? A sound sometimes has to be heard to be diagnosed properly, so I don't know what else to say ... Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I have located the sound. It is coming from the rear diff. How hard or easy is it to change out the pinion bearings? Would this effect the torgue or power in pull? Why don't I hear the sound in reverse?

·
Registered
19 Posts
damn I got that exact same noise, let off the gas it will go away....... or once it shifts into 3rd gear..............
crap had other to do's I wanted to spend money on........

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why don't I hear the sound in reverse?
I don't know why the load is different, but I'm sure you can call Alex Trebek ... he knows everything. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm having a similar noise on my Bronco that just started. I just took it on a 1400 mile trip and now that I'm back home I'm getting a vibration on the driver's side floorboard and is making a noise kind of like mud tires do on the highway. I've yet to check the bearings but the vibration and noise are there with the manual hubs locked in and without them. Actually it seemed to be louder in the rain today for some reason. Taking into account of what I've read here with the wheel bearings, front drive shaft bearings, front seal and universal joints on the axle, is there anything else I need to look for that could make the noise and the vibration? Starts making the noise at about 25 MPH and gets louder with speed.:banghead

·
Registered
59 Posts
Found It!

Yep the bearings were bad and the races were pitted. I also found that the rotor was dragging on the ABS sensor so I'm guessing its destroyed. Don't really know about the ABS since the light has been on for about 5 years now but who really knows. One side down, one more to go. No more noise!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts