Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I have 33x12.5/15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on my truck. I've had them about 10k miles and really like they way they go through mud. They aren't real nice for the usual UP snow but I'm alright with that. Problem is I hit a glass bottle and put a hole in one of them right at the edge of the thread. My dad wont let me patched so I havent even tried getting it patched. The tires are about 70% tread I'd say but I dont know what to do. Since I'd rather have something that is better in the snow I dont want to buy 2 more Dunlops but I dont want to mismatch 2 other tires either. I dont know what to do. Does anybody want 4 Dunlops? Money is an issue so I'm stuck.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is buy 1 new tire to go with 3 tires that are 60% tread. I'd rather have 2 at that rate which means I'd want to swap to something else maybe the new Cooper STT's or BFG mall terrains. Driving to school in 1-5 inches of snow everyday with mud tires sucks but I was hoping these would make it til the end of this coming summer (about 25k miles)

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
This is what I've recommended to customers, back in the day when I was a tire man - buy a new tire. Even if you might have a posi, it won't make that much difference (difference comes when you're spooled, or have a locker, and even that's negligible). If the damaged tire is on the front, rotate the rear tire to the front, and put the new tire on the rear. Then, as Broke had suggested, have it booted and tubed, and keep it for a matching spare. It's only one tire, you'll be fine with one new tire

Also, consider having your tires siped. Yes, even at 60-70%, it can be done. And not just the center of the tread, but across the whole tread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts