Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6" lift and stock axles(9" rear d44 front) on my 79', and am currently running 35" tires. My question is will my stock axles hold up to a bigger tire size?? say maybe 37s or 38s. any input or help on this would be great. Thanks

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
All depends on what type of off road stuff you'll be doing
^^^And what condition you're running gear is in now. For moderate wheeling I would say go no bigger than 38.5"s.

·
Registered
467 Posts
and not running lockers.

Open diff. D44 will handle 36" tires... unless you like to go airborne. Form most driving it will be fine.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
and not running lockers.

Open diff. D44 will handle 36" tires... unless you like to go airborne. Form most driving it will be fine.
I've had mine in the air quit a few times with 38s :toothless drove it home every time...I've broken a lot more stuff in mud holes than while in the air...both front and rear are open...

·
Registered
533 Posts
39.5x15 very bad idea on stock axles, and gears. skinny, tall, and light weight rims should be fine.i would go no bigger than 37's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have also broken more stubs and joints on the 44 with skinny 38's in the mud then anything else, have to be gentle

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I wheel when i can on the weekend, i think I will go 37's. then again if i do break something that my reason to upgrade. :)

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
that size should be fine, just save up and get some chrome moly shafts and good axle joints

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
doesn't dana 44 mean that it can hold up to 44 inch tires? Thats what I thought.
Yep, thats what they say.:popc1:
Dana 20s good for 20" tires
Dana 30s good for 30" tires
Dana 44s good for 44" tires
Dana 60s good for 60" tires
Dana 70s good for 70" tires
Dana 80s good for 80" tires
I skiped a few but you get the idea...

·
Registered
980 Posts
:popc1: you have trashed more trucks then most of us have owned haven't you :notworthy MUDDOG,

why is it that I find that rather COOL ? :scratchhe

oh yea! its a REDNECK THING :toothless

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
:popc1: you have trashed more trucks then most of us have owned haven't you :notworthy MUDDOG,

why is it that I find that rather COOL ? :scratchhe

oh yea! its a REDNECK THING :toothless
LOL....Well iv been wheeling most of my life in my own trucks...Back in my early 20s I was wheeling 7 days a week & ownd 12 trucks(Down to 7 now) at 1 time...

I dont think Iv trashed more...The truck I posted up I had or 15 years before I stripped it down & put everything in my 79 Bronco...I can say thought that the only thing original on the F-150 was the body & frame...Everything eles was changed at some point...

·
Registered
980 Posts
yes it was meant as a compliment :beer
you should start a thread on all your trucks, it would be very interesting to read :thumbup

·
Registered
207 Posts
Had well over 20 passes this summer running 38s and a D44 with no problems. Then went airborn and the following pass I broke the center pin out of the carrier. I think if you drive it normally you will get good life out of it with the 38s.

Later
RK

1 - 18 of 18 Posts