Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just how high does my 78 horse need to sit in order to fit 44's and flex like a happy pony should? i know i will need to cut fenders i dont care about that but i need a simple no nonsense lift that does not require the skills of a master fabricator and an ase certified mechanic that will fit my 44's and let me flex alittle. where do i get this stuff?

·
Registered
75 Posts
i wouldnt go with 44's fo the simple fact being it wll change the speed your bronco goes i have 35's on mine and i can tell the difference.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know that thats why im putting dana 60's with 4.10's on it

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
COOL thats what i thought only i was really gonaa unleash the sawzall on it but where do i get these 9 inch lift components i am putting on dana60's

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
You could get 6in coils and drop the buckets 3in and 6in rear springs and do a shackle flip. Be prepared that with that much lift you will run into a lot of things that need to be fabbed or modified.
well what if i shimmed the rear axle and lengthened the radius arms and droped them also would i need new radius arms for my dana 60 and where do i get the parts for the shackle flip and the spring bucket drop

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
No amount of shimming of the rear axle, will give you 9" of lift. Find a pair of rear lift leaf springs, for that. Lengthening the radius arms is along the right idea, but could prove to be too weak, for a 1ton axle with 44" tires. Stick with leaf springs for that too.

Shackle flip brackets can be had from Sky Manufacturing. The spring bucket drop is a DIY project

good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
becarefull on going that high cause you will really be top heavy and chances of rolling over is greatly increased good luck

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so im guessing that running a leaf sring set up will in the long run be far less hassle but will be some sort of a guessing game as to what springs at what hieght to use my real question is will the f-150 - bronco springs from jeffs bronco graveyard fit on dana 60's ?

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I am in the same boat you are.. I have a 1978 F150 that I"ll be putting 44's on.. Here's what I plan on doing and it will be so much easier then what I've read here..

Here's the best piece of advice.. I've read all the posts and am kind of wondering where some of these people are getting their ideas...
www.skyjacker.com they sell a 9" suspension lift here's a link to it

http://www.skyjacker.com/products-search-detail.asp?ID=88142&vyear=1978&vmake=FORD&vmodel=BRONCO&partnumber=179BKS

then just get a 3" BL and you should be pretty close.. I'm sure you'll have to trim to get good flex..

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
if you're going dana 60, just change over the mounting hardware from the 44 so you can keep the coil spring front suspension...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You're gonna need a LOT more than just what comes in that 9in lift kit.

-shocks
-extended brake lines
-c-bushings
-drop pitman arm
-longer drag link (will still steer like crap and bind up off-road due to the steep angle)
-longer track bar
-will have to fab new track bar mounts so track bar angle matches steering angles. (Those track bar extending brackets work for shit. I found that out for myself after not listening to people on this site when they said it wouldn't last)
-drive shafts will have to be lenghtened
-drive shaft angles will be very steep and a high angle shafts will have to be used
-will have to notch or build new trans crossmember to clear front d-shaft
-drop radius arm mounts
-you will probably have a problem with the springs bowing and may need to solve that somehow (how depends on how bad they are bowing)
-you will probably get a lot of spring wrap in the rear and that will have to be controlled
-and there will be more things that you won't find out about until you start working on it

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying lifting your truck this high is a bad idea. I'm just trying to explain that when you go that big there is a lot more to it than just throwing a lift kit on it. Hell I ran into all those problems and then some just going to 6in Superflex springs.

As for the 60s - if you stay with the coil suspension and c-bushings you will need to weld new c-bushing tabs on the axle. Search around and you will be able to find a lot of info already posted on that. A lot of it will be in the SAS section. For leaf springs you will need to build the frame mounts. I don't really know what springs work good and what don't because I don't have any actual experiance with that, but I believe muddinmike used factory rear springs in the front of his truck and they work very well. Plus they are cheap and easy to come by.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Any lift you'll have to buy shocks.. Any decent size lift you'll have to extend driveshafts..
Springs don't bow with this kit.. If you use the spring pack you don't get wrap like you would if you used blocks..
Brake lines, drop pitman arm, track bar drop bracket, radius arm drop brackets come with the kit.
As for the draglink and tracbar the pitman arm drop and track bar drop bracket brings your tracbar and drag link to good angles.

As for the trans crossmember, just switch over to a CV style front driveshaft.. Will take care of that issue..

I've done this kit a few times and my friend runs the exact kit on 40" boggers.. thing drives like a champ..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
soooooo what your saying is that it works well but would you recomend coils for the front then or leaf springs?

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
it works great.. stick with coils.. that's what comes in the kit..

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Heres pix of my 79 with 6 inch lift & 44s...This was before I bought it...& yes he cut the fenders...Ill be running just a 4 inch lift with 42s....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts