Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
might be kind of a stupid question, but does the tread pattern on tires matter? does it matter if the front tires have 1 tread pattern and the rears have different pattern? my step dad told me yesterday the it would mess the transmission up if the tires are different?

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
It wouldn't mess up the transmission, but it could wreak havoc on your transfer case. Tread pattern won't matter, just make sure they are the same size. Often times tires claimed to be 35" tires are more like 33" tall, so if you have one of the "small" 35's in the rear with one tread pattern from one manufacturer and a "fullsize" 35" tire in the front with a different pattern on the front, that will cause problems if driven in 4wd on any somewhat grippy surface. It wouldn't be a problem in mud, but if driven on a well packed gravel road even briefly that way it will more than likely cause you problems.

Take a tape measure and check out the actual height with a carpenter square layed across the tread on top.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what i thought. i'm gonna have 2 of one brand on the rear and 2 of another on the front, kind of hard to find a pair of 31x10.5x15 bfg a/t tires. found a guy that has a pair of goodyear wrangler gsa 31x10.5x15 tires with about 95% tread left on them for $75.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet. so it should be fine with the bfg a/t's and the goodyear wrangler gsa's then.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll do that. the bfg's are already mounted, but the gsa's aren't. that might make a little bit of a difference, but not too much.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,568 Posts
When you measure them, do it off the truck. That way, the weight doesn't influence the measurements. And as long as both tires of one brand stay on the same axle, with the same amount of tread, you shouldn't have bearing/diff issues.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that's what i planned on doin, keeping the bfg's on one axle and the gsa's on one axle

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. Please explain to me how mixing MT's & AT's of the same size can mess anything up, because I just don't see it.:scratchhe
yeah construction/power companies do it all the time on their 2wd trucks. Heck, my old jeep comanche had mud terrains in the back.

If its a 4wd as long as the tires are pretty close to the same size its fine

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
On TireRack I just compared two 31x10.50 R15 tires. Notice the second line from the bottom. They vary in overall diameter by .6"

You can also see that the Dunlop is turning 707 revolutions per mile, while the Firestone is only turning 672 per mile. Just rolling once, the Dunlop will take 95.456 inches to wind up in the same position after one complete turn. However, the Firestone will take 97.34 inches. That's nearly 2 inches difference in just one revolution! I'm not too sure that your transfer case, axle shafts, and U-joints will be too happy about that.

Not only this, but if you throw into the mix a worn set of tires, it can make it worse. A tire at 25% tread on a short tire to begin with, such as the Dunlop, will take off nearly another half inch, making it only 30" tall as opposed to 31" with new Firestones.

I'm just saying give them a quick measure before you throw them on. I'm nearly positive that they will be absolutely fine though as long as you don't do anything stupid like driving across pavement in 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. Please explain to me how mixing MT's & AT's of the same size can mess anything up, because I just don't see it.:scratchhe
Thats just what I have been told and have also heard from guys like at Americas Tires(great company here).

So, it may not be fact and i could be wrong, but im going off of what ive been told.

Sort of makes sense though since it would be hard to find tires of the same size seeing as they all vary in size, so i dont think a 31x10.5x15 radial would be the same as a 31x10.5x15 bogger.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a little off topic, but would a swamper tsl radial tread pattern look ok with 3 general grabber m/t tires, or should i get 2 mud kings and use one of the 3 general grabber m/t's for a spare?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,041 Posts
When you measure them, do it off the truck. That way, the weight doesn't influence the measurements. And as long as both tires of one brand stay on the same axle, with the same amount of tread, you shouldn't have bearing/diff issues.
That would be better than comparing one that's on the truck to one that's off, but isn't it better to measure them all on the truck so that you'd know that they're the same in use? If the sidewall deflects more on one type tire, it could change the distance to the ground. Isn't it the measurement from the center (Or the edge of the rim on matching rims) to the road that needs to be equal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts