Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1992 Bronco XLT
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to get a good opinion poll started. I’ve searched the forum but found limited info. Here is the Question, 15" or 17"? :scratchhe 37-12.50 or 39.5-13.50? Radials in either size are without question! 15x10 or 17x9 Bead locks are a strong consideration http://www.trailready.com/[/url] (by Trail Ready). The concern with the 15” 39.5s is sidewall flex & strength:muscle071, A 17” in this size I believe would limit this concern as well as beadlocks with the 15". Cost of coarse is always an issue but….. Now I haven’t mentioned the 37s I put that size out there because, well it was the first size I considered but then looking at the difference in cost between them and the 39.5s… I realize regardless of the strength of the axles the larger the tire the more stress and chance of failure is a factor on any component! I also realize there are many more variables that can be put into this equation! So what does everyone run, again 37" and larger only please!!!:duh Mfg., tire size and rim? back spacing? DD or trail only or both. Bead locks or not. Spacers or not? 5 lug 6 lug, 8 lug, ½ ton, ¾ ton, or 1 ton axles? What kind of performance did u get? what would you do different? do you play in the mud or rocks?:shrug

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I moved from 15" wheels with 37's to 17's and it made a world of difference with on road ride/handling. Like how they look as well, 37x12.5 on a 17x9 wheel. There seems to be growing choices for 17" tire sizes and not so for the 15's.

·
Super Moderator
1992 Bronco XLT
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do see an improved preformance off road? hows side wall flex at lower psi?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
It's not a totally fair comparison in my case. I had IROK radials that were a load range C and when I changed to a 17" I was also going less agressive, more street friendly, so I went with 37" Goodyear MTR kevlars in a load range D. They have a very stiff sidewall. You can barely notice they are are aired down at say 14psi. Very tough sidewall too, so they do very well on the rocky trails around here. But on road the truck is much improved with handling.

·
Super Moderator
1992 Bronco XLT
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
were u happy with the Iroks, i've heard they have weak side walls, ive only ever ran micky thompson baja claws but they dont make a 37 or 39 and i feel that the 40" is still, just too much for a beefed up D44

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
were u happy with the Iroks, i've heard they have weak side walls, ive only ever ran micky thompson baja claws but they dont make a 37 or 39 and i feel that the 40" is still, just too much for a beefed up D44
I liked the IROKS, never punctured a sidewall, but these goodyears definitely seem stronger in the sidewall. Even with alloy shafts and joints I think I'm pushing it with 37's. I did not like the outer lug wear. The Irok 3 stage lugs are so agressive I never got good wear from them.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
I run 37x12.50x15, for now. Once I get the 1 tons on I will be going to 17" wheels only because I have to due to the brakes.

I have had good performance with my set up, the TSL's have a stiff side wall as well.
I can air them down to 10 psi and still not notice a whole lot just sitting on flat ground.

I have a set of H2 wheels to go on with the 1 tons, in the spring!!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I run a 38x16 TSL on my truck with 15" rims. I have friends who run a 38 with 20" Rims, I just prefer the look of a massive sidewall. When I upgrade to 1 ton running gear and step up tire size, I am going to get the smallest rim that will safely clear the brakes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I heard that a lot of tire manufactures are getting away from the larger tires for 15" rims. The future will be only 16s and above for the larger tires. That may be worth checking out.

·
Registered
529 Posts
i have 17x9 rims and i had the 36x13.50 iroks radials and i loved those tires im guna get them again wen i need tires again i never got stuck with them and they were pretty quiet not sure if its just cuz my exhaust is so loud with the flowmasters but they handeled great and lasted me about 20-25k i was suprised

·
Registered
154 Posts
I run a 38x16 TSL on my truck with 15" rims. I have friends who run a 38 with 20" Rims, I just prefer the look of a massive sidewall. When I upgrade to 1 ton running gear and step up tire size, I am going to get the smallest rim that will safely clear the brakes.

I like this look also. I'm needing new tires and I'm debating about buying some 37"x14.5x15 IROKS. Currently running Baja Claws.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Excellent thread topic!

I too am looking at changing from my 32" on 15" wheels to 17" with 35s for when I do my 6" susp lift.
So, 17x9 seems to be the norm with 12.5" tires...is that accurate? I am looking at 17"x9" wheels (with either -12 or -24 offset), and 35"x12.5"x17" radials.
I am going for a kind of baja inspired look, without sticking out too far from the truck. I just like the stance.

I am looking for a decent pavement ride, but still do well off road (mostly sand since I'm in FL hahaha). I will be doing beach launches with waverunner, slimy boat ramps, and some weekend off road trailing (but those are 30-60 min drive from me on highway).

Any advice would be much appreciated before investing the $2000-$3000.

Thanks!

Here's a few forum member pics I found that I am aiming towards similar stance...but need advice as to how to achieve.

silent_one

musky1011

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
sounds like a good plan to me. I run a similar setup with 17x9 alloys at -8 offset (ideally I was wanting -12) and 37x12.5 tires. I've been very happy running the 17" wheel/tire combo both on and off road.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
After further examination, I think the truck with no top on it that I posted may have 6" susp lift and 3" body...experts??
looks like a 6" lift, 35" tires and no body lift.. I would think the bumpers would have larger spaces in them if it did...

·
Registered
141 Posts
The only reason I suspected a body lift was the frame rails poking out the bottom of the front bumper...no? Wait, are those tow hooks?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts