Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
factory was 235/85r16 someone put on 265/75r16's

the 265's are more expensive, if I went to the 235's would I really notice a difference? only difference I can find is the 235 is a narrower tire over the 265. These will be load E for my superduty.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Here's a bit of info I got from a guy on NWFD. I believe the tire would be narrower as well as being smaller in height.

275 represents the section width of the tire expressed in millimeters

75 represents the height of the sidewall expressed in % of the section width

16 is wheel diameter expressed in inches.

so your 275/75/16 means:

the tire is 27.5cm wide or 10.8 inches

take 10.8" multiply it by .75
you get 8.1"
multiply 8.1x2 and add 16"
you get 32.2"

so a 275/75/16 equates to a
10.8x32.2x16.....or a 11x32x16

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

by that calculator the over all diameter is only .1" difference which is less than 1/8" but my question is more so about handling. the 235 is narrower than the 265.

would the 235 give any better fuel millage from being a narrower tire?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
By going to a smaller footprint it will increase fuel mileage. How much? Probably not enough for you to notice at the pump.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how about on snow and ice, if buying the exact same tire and tread pattern

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Edit: Nvm Ranger said it.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
They always say a narrower tire is better in the snow, for handling I'd probably agree, for traction I'd disagree. I put the 315's, 35" tall on my PSD and am pretty happy with them. What's the price on the tire your looking at?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking at treadwrights right now. for a set of 265's it is just shy of $400 shipped.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Pretty good price but I've never heard of the brand. Do you know anything about them, mileage expectancy?

To bad you live so far away shagger, I got a decent used set of continentals that are about 50% I'd sell ya cheap.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
I am looking at treadwrights right now. for a set of 265's it is just shy of $400 shipped.
Do ya have a link? My truck needs new tires.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they are a retread, 2yr/24k miles.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
https://www.treadwright.com/

there have been posts on fsb and pirates about them and everyone who has used them said they have been great.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Do ya have a link to the pirate threads? Ive always heard sketchy things about retreads but they have a great selection, size I need, and great prices.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If you decide to go with them, post your results. Though the purchase is tax-free for me, shipping plus the mounting/balance cost almost equates to sale-priced new tires. Plus I'd have to get rid of the old tires.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yuck, retreads? Although I don't know squat about a pickup retread a retread in the big truck market is real crap. I personally would never run a recap, the amount of damge they do once they seperate is not worth it.

Here is a much better tire on sale, 800 bucks for a set of 4 and free shipping.

http://4wheelonline.com/DickCepekRadialTires.2180.9156
nice change on the post. the 265's are 210 each.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do ya have a link to the pirate threads? Ive always heard sketchy things about retreads but they have a great selection, size I need, and great prices.
search for treadwright. the threads pop right up and there is only a hand ful

1 - 20 of 62 Posts