Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's getting to that point in my build where i am going to have to buy tires and i am at a crossroads and i need some help.
My 86 EB has a rebuilt engine, AOD, and the factory 3.55 gearing, new stock height springs all around. I don't plan on hot rodding, and i don't really plan on doing any real off roading with this thing, so i don't need mud tires. I want a relatively quiet and smooth ride (as can be expected out of a 35 year old super short wheel base truck).
I am going to use the factory 15x8 steel wheels with the redline trim rings and chrome center caps.
Looking for some nice looking, AT tires. Found these at walmart...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

To me thats tough to beat, and even has the nice outline letters like came on it when it was new. Here is where i am open to suggestion though, should i stick with the factory size or bump up to a 32 x 11.5 r15 ? This thing already don't have a lot of "zip" to it, will the 32" tires be that noticable? Anything else i need to be considering?

·
Registered
486 Posts
So it's getting to that point in my build where i am going to have to buy tires and i am at a crossroads and i need some help.
My 86 EB has a rebuilt engine, AOD, and the factory 3.55 gearing, new stock height springs all around. I don't plan on hot rodding, and i don't really plan on doing any real off roading with this thing, so i don't need mud tires. I want a relatively quiet and smooth ride (as can be expected out of a 35 year old super short wheel base truck).
I am going to use the factory 15x8 steel wheels with the redline trim rings and chrome center caps.
Looking for some nice looking, AT tires. Found these at walmart...

View attachment 184810

To me thats tough to beat, and even has the nice outline letters like came on it when it was new. Here is where i am open to suggestion though, should i stick with the factory size or bump up to a 32 x 11.5 r15 ? This thing already don't have a lot of "zip" to it, will the 32" tires be that noticable? Anything else i need to be considering?
While I'm not wise enough to comment on the tire sizing question, I can say we have some similar looking Wrangler DuraTracs on our Jeep and I find them very easy on the pavement. A little more noise than the stock tires we had, and I have put them through some pretty good off road situations and worked like a charm too. Hopefully you'll have similar luck with those.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,036 Posts
The Kenda Lever MT is a nice tire, similar to the GY above. But that price for the GY is outstanding.

I would stick with the 31x10.50s

Reactions: robbz28

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
935 Posts
I'd stick with the 31×10.50-15
There is an old saying about Goodyear tires... they are good for a year! I will never buy them again cuz i think that is giving them too much credit, so in my opinion, spend the extra $60 per tire.

I have to get new tires as well when I complete my project & I'm a big fan of Michelin tires, just for the ride quality, the excellent traction, & they are so quiet, plus they just last twice as long as any other tire out there. They really are the best quality tire in my opinion, I just don't like the look of them.

With that said, Im not an offroad guy, so that's not a consideration of mine, nor is cost, been burned going cheaper before). A tire is about looks, ride, & longevity to me... & maybe I've been working in the design studios too many years, but the look of an agressive off road tire on a Bronco, with raised white letters & an agressive sidewall is what looks right, so that leads me to a few other options, but I think I'm leaning towards the Cooper.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Sidewall questionable tho & the raised white letters don't look good on this tire.
Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Logo

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Cooper great sidewall

BFG KO $192
Ok sidewall, but just too common, everyone has these... even i've had them on 2 of my Broncos, I don't really like how they wear and turn very square looking.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Product

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd stick with the 31×10.50-15
There is an old saying about Goodyear tires... they are good for a year! I will never buy them again cuz i think that is giving them too much credit, so in my opinion, spend the extra $60 per tire.

I have to get new tires as well when I complete my project & I'm a big fan of Michelin tires, just for the ride quality, the excellent traction, & they are so quiet, plus they just last twice as long as any other tire out there. They really are the best quality tire in my opinion, I just don't like the look of them.

With that said, a tire is also about looks to me... & maybe I've been working in the design studios too many years, but the look of an agressive off road tire on a Bronco, with raised white letters & an agressive sidewall just looks great, so that leads me to a few other options, but I think I'm leaning towards the Cooper.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Sidewall questionable tho & the raised white letters don't look good on this tire.
I like the BFG TA, it's a classic and i got over 80,000 miles out of my last set. Michelins are without a doubt some of the best tires made, but they're high as a cats back. Last set of goodyears i bought was for my wifes Yukon (its 4X4 too) and i got 65,000 out of them. My last truck had a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers that I didn't rotate on purpose, check those out for a great sidewall, and they're a relatively quiet tire (I wanted a bigger set of tires) and they still lasted 60,000 miles with probably 10,000 miles of life left in them. At this point I've pretty much decided to stick with the factory 31" size and if those goodyears are still 135 bucks here next month i'm probably going to snag them because even on ebay theyre around 180 a tire...walmart must've gotten too many of them or something. Mileage isn't the biggest concern to me anyway as whatever tire i buy will probably dry rot before the tread wears out.
I also have access to a tire stand, balancer, all that good stuff at the farm.

Any thoughts on adding a TPMS system? They have some that screw onto the valve stem, but i'm not sure how much i trust that...not from a reading standpoint, but from other folks taking one off just to be a d*ck, or rolling through a car wash and the tire scrubber rolling one of them off.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
935 Posts
I'm just a traditionalist on tires I guess. I had bought new Falken tires to save a few bucks for an 85 Mustang GT I had when I was 16, and I had all kinds of problems with them, and ever since, I've stayed away from anything not big name brand when buying tires.

As far as TPMS... I like them in my new cars. I didn't know there were aftermarket systems available, but since this truck is for your son ultimately, it isn't a bad idea.

You can be the guinea pig on how well these aftermarket systems work for the forum!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,036 Posts
Tpms sucks IMHO..

BFG AT2 absolutely sucks in mud of any kind.

I had the original GY Wrangler MTRs on my 94. Got about 20k miles out of them. At which point they were screaming loud.

Nowadays I run either swampers or Firestone destination MT2. But i also get back into some soft fields where an MT is needed.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've got the garage queen pavement princess Bronco, so I cant comment on mud or soft fields... Lol

I gave up on all that off road stuff, all it ever did for me was to break parts & make me spend countless hours cleaning.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't find a picture of Co-op Grip Spurs, we used to run them on the back of our flat bed shop dually (sweet old 1980 chevy 1 ton) but these original buckshots are close...

They make a sound "wah-wha-wha-wha" that will forever be burned into my memory, and at interstate speed...forget about hearing anything but these bad boys and trying to have an in-cab conversation.

I can't attest to what my son may try and get himself into whenever he starts to drive this thing, but that's still about 3 years off now, but as for me if it's something i need to get to, and its in a real bad spot, i have my honda rancher for that. If i go mud riding for fun, it's going to be on that honda. If i go mud riding in this bronco, it's going to be on accident lol.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,036 Posts
I can't find a picture of Co-op Grip Spurs, we used to run them on the back of our flat bed shop dually (sweet old 1980 chevy 1 ton) but these original buckshots are close...

View attachment 184821

They make a sound "wah-wha-wha-wha" that will forever be burned into my memory, and at interstate speed...forget about hearing anything but these bad boys and trying to have an in-cab conversation.

I can't attest to what my son may try and get himself into whenever he starts to drive this thing, but that's still about 3 years off now, but as for me if it's something i need to get to, and its in a real bad spot, i have my honda rancher for that. If i go mud riding for fun, it's going to be on that honda. If i go mud riding in this bronco, it's going to be on accident lol.
Lol i can help with that! 7x15 Co-Op Grip Spurs currently deteriorating on my deteriorating 78 f150.

I dont do a lot of mudding for fun anymore as its such a pain to clean out. The soft fields are on my property and highway tires just spin back there.

Its all about what you need. I need more aggressive tires, and ten ply because of the gravel roads and all the locust trees on our property. Farm type usage needs a farm type tire.

As a side note, i saw a bricknose pickup with skid steer rear tires around here a few years ago...

Reactions: robbz28

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My son is learning the price of fun. He likes to get on the four wheeler and go find mud holes...which is fine...but after i started making him clean it up afterwards, he stopped doing it as much...the fun to work ratio is short, 30 minutes of fun for 45 minutes of work cleaning.
Every May (except this year) we have a big crawfish boil and 4 wheeler ride and its usually about 12-15 bikes and most of us ride 2 up on them and we go play in the mud in my bro in law's family property, lots of old poorly drained snaggy forest and pipeline right of ways that get good and soupy and don't ever really dry up.
Four wheeler mud rides are a big part of social gatherings here in LA and MS as we don't have anything else to do and it's like a right of passage that EVERY child get some kind of ATV and a .22 rifle by their 10th birthday lol.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Lol i can help with that! 7x15 Co-Op Grip Spurs currently deteriorating on my deteriorating 78 f150.

I dont do a lot of mudding for fun anymore as its such a pain to clean out. The soft fields are on my property and highway tires just spin back there.

Its all about what you need. I need more aggressive tires, and ten ply because of the gravel roads and all the locust trees on our property. Farm type usage needs a farm type tire.

As a side note, i saw a bricknose pickup with skid steer rear tires around here a few years ago...
Let me know how those km3s work. I'm going to buy a 35" for the bronco

·
Addicted to Junk
16,036 Posts
Let me know how those km3s work. I'm going to buy a 35" for the bronco
Haha they havent moved since i stacked em. It'll be a race to see who gets to em last lol. I need to get the wheels demounted and swapped onto my superduty.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,036 Posts
My son is learning the price of fun. He likes to get on the four wheeler and go find mud holes...which is fine...but after i started making him clean it up afterwards, he stopped doing it as much...the fun to work ratio is short, 30 minutes of fun for 45 minutes of work cleaning.
Every May (except this year) we have a big crawfish boil and 4 wheeler ride and its usually about 12-15 bikes and most of us ride 2 up on them and we go play in the mud in my bro in law's family property, lots of old poorly drained snaggy forest and pipeline right of ways that get good and soupy and don't ever really dry up.
Four wheeler mud rides are a big part of social gatherings here in LA and MS as we don't have anything else to do and it's like a right of passage that EVERY child get some kind of ATV and a .22 rifle by their 10th birthday lol.
BFG MT KM3. I did a suspension lift for him and got a set of 37s in return.

I spent many hours as a young teenager on a 99 Kawasaki prairie 300 4x2. Tearing through the bottomland and silt pond by my house. Learned a lot of lessons on that quad. Including how not to hit a curb type thing at 45mph trying to jump it. I now LOVE helmets haha. Ive now got a can-am outlander 570. Fastest acceleration of anything ive ever ridden in or on. When our shop burned in 2015, the Kawasaki melted and insurance did full new replacement with the can-am. Talk about an upgrade! (Though I lost a $20k 96 crew cab powerstroke with no compensation and only got 5k for my 94 bronco)

Guns and engines are a rite of passage around here too.

·
Registered
95 EB 5.8
156 Posts
I just bought BFG KO2's last week. 31 x 10.5. I like them. I got 4 of them from 4WP for 750 tax included, and I also get a $100 rebate card in a few weeks. So, $650 wasn't too bad. I ran them on my Silverado and Wrangler. No idea how many miles they last as I switch cars too often. They ride significantly better than what was on it. Which was Firestone Destinations. However, they had a date code of March 2003. There was tons of tread, but they were a wee bit dry rotted. The PO didnt put many miles on it since 2003 or so. So far, no complaints about the tires.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just bought BFG KO2's last week. 31 x 10.5. I like them. I got 4 of them from 4WP for 750 tax included, and I also get a $100 rebate card in a few weeks. So, $650 wasn't too bad. I ran them on my Silverado and Wrangler. No idea how many miles they last as I switch cars too often. They ride significantly better than what was on it. Which was Firestone Destinations. However, they had a date code of March 2003. There was tons of tread, but they were a wee bit dry rotted. The PO didnt put many miles on it since 2003 or so. So far, no complaints about the tires.
Be careful, there is no WAY id run a tire that was old enough to buy cigarettes and maybe im reading your story wrong but you paid for those? Old tires is why Paul Walker is no longer with us (well a main reason anyway). I think anyone selling tires over 10 years of age without making it known up front can get in legal trouble...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Be careful, there is no WAY id run a tire that was old enough to buy cigarettes and maybe im reading your story wrong but you paid for those? Old tires is why Paul Walker is no longer with us (well a main reason anyway). I think anyone selling tires over 10 years of age without making it known up front can get in legal trouble...
Nevermind, i did read it wront, the firestones were the old tires...my bad

·
Registered
95 EB 5.8
156 Posts
Nevermind, i did read it wront, the firestones were the old tires...my bad
Yea, the old tires were dated. My spare is still very told too. I think it may be the original. I am debating on pulling the new EB tire cover off and buying a factory alum wheel and another BFG to mount as the spare.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, the old tires were dated. My spare is still very told too. I think it may be the original. I am debating on pulling the new EB tire cover off and buying a factory alum wheel and another BFG to mount as the spare.
I'm moving my spare to the inside, it currently has the nice dents you get when you let it get away from you in the side of my bed in front of the brackets. I like the look of the tire on the back, and the extra space inside you get from it, but that's it. To me not having something that is prone to rattling, and not getting in the way when i want to use my tailgate is more important...today anyway...so I'm trying to find the slimmest 30" tire i can find and stick on a 6" wide rim for my spare. I know its a "no no" to mix sizes, but i feel like going from a 31 to a 30 won't be that big a deal, especially if the tires are half worn out the 30 would probably be nearly as tall...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts