Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone is running out there. I've always run the BFG All Terrains KOs and have been very happy with them. They seem to have a long life and give me plenty of traction. I know some of you guys are running Toyos, Goodyears, etc. Give us a review of them. Maybe some pics of them as well.

Chris

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had been running 12.50 x 35 x 15 Goodyear MTR's. I loved them in the dirt but they just didn't like running on the highway at speed, the sidewalls would blow out going down the road and Goodyear blames the failure on airing down for the sand. Went through 5 different tires, never did wear one out they would just explode. I always ran them at full pressure on the street but they just weren't up to it. I just got a set of 12.5 x 35 x 15 BFG Baja TA's mounted up this week. They balanced out nicely and are much quieter on the road, I haven't had a chance to put them to the test yet but we will be pre running the race course at Primm next week so that should be a good test. I'll report on them when I get back.

·
Registered
971 Posts
35" Goodyear MTs only had them a short time but on the road they are very nice (quiet) and in the dirt they so far have been great. I used to run Maxxis creepy crawlers and I really liked those as well. Pretty pricey but for a trail only rid ethey were outstanding, too much grab for go fast and very very heavy but in the sand, mud and rocks they were really great. On the road tolerable but noisy. Hoep that helps.
Jeremy

·
Registered
496 Posts
35x12.50x15 BFG All terrains Good on the highway, sand and desert. I haven't had them in the mud so I dont know about that yet. If your running a smaller tire I suggest Dayton timberlines I have them on my ranger great tire but they only go to 33's

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It's all about 33x12.50R15 Bridgestone All Terrains. Actually, I only bought them because my vendor had them at a good price when I was shopping. I'll probably replace them with BFG ATs next time, but at the current rate that I drive my truck they'll rot before I wear them out.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Sorry fellas. No more BFD's for me. I've had too many sidewall failures with them. I like my Toyo's. They're heavy, but they're tough. I like the wider foot print. They feel stable in turns. They run much quieter on the street than the BFG MT's ever did. They're a good balance between go-fast and crawl. The sidewall lugs protect well and as unpopular as it is in the desert, I run the pressure down around 22psi for the go fast. They won't hold up forever like that, but fingers crossed, they've done well so far.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Toyo makes a great tire, I forgot they started making a 33x12.50R15 A/T fairly recently. I'll shop those at my next replacement. I really like their mud tire but it's too aggressive for my uses. The A/T handles and wears much better (on the street).

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the General off road tire is not available yet but looks like a decent tread pattern.

Goodyear yellow labels. Anyone run those? I've seen them for sale at the LeDuc swap meet and looks like a nice all terrain pattern.

Does anyone know what happen with BFG's plans to make the desert tire "The Brawler" which was based off "The Krawler" line? There was some pics about a year ago and then haven't heard a thing since then.

CP

·
Registered
577 Posts
This is what I've run over the years post stock. This is what I've honestly experienced with tires over the years. I run 4.56 gears. Truck has over 260k on it

35-12.5-15 BFG AT (1-2 sets) - I went through multiple tires at the beginning only to keep getting puncture flats in Barstow. Love them on the road but always made sure I carried a spare in the dirt. But I will get another set after my MT wear out since the new MT look too aggressive for my taste.

35-12.5-15 BFG MT I currently run these (2 sets) - Best tire yet all around. Although some might say they dig in the sand. I've never yet gotten a flat yet unlike the AT. I have multiple shrub branches from Lucerne imbedded into the sidewall and the tread foot print without a leak. My brother that ran his truck infront of me in Lucerne had the BFG AT and blew out three tires that day. I love them in the desert, snow, glamis, Pismo, and on the highway.

35-12.5-15 BFG BAJA TA (1 slightly used set) - Balanced great at the beginning. Flat spots would occur over night. Heavy ass tire if MPG is an issue. I never carried a spare with these on. Air them down to 5 psi with no problems. I would never get them on a DD or a prerunner that sees more street than dirt.

37-12.5-15 Goodyear MT (1 set) - wanted to try a larger tire. Never had a problem with them. I only had a few small trips to big bear with them. I didn't need to engage 4x4 as much as if i had the BFG MT. Traded these in for the BFG MT only after 4 months, due to the larger amount un-sprung weight, MPG, and they look like balloons on a 15 rim.

35-12.5-15 TSL Swampers (1 set) The bias was the cheapest tire I could afford back in the day. FUN ass tire. Those things never let me down and climbed ever thing I through in front of it. Man I missed those. :toothless

Griffin

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
35-12.5-15 TSL Swampers (1 set) The bias was the cheapest tire I could afford back in the day. FUN ass tire. Those things never let me down and climbed ever thing I through in front of it. Man I missed those. :toothless

Griffin
I'm with you there Griffin. I ran the 36" TSL SX's and absolutely loved them. They were amazing in the rocks at 8psi and worked wonders at 15psi in the little whoops. If the bands didn't break, I would probably still be running them. Definitely a crawler tire though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i've run nothing but bfg's and i love both of them. i still have both of them too. the mud terrains in particular are really tough. i've put so much abuse on those things and put a lot of miles on the street with them and they still look the same. i'm sold. i'll run bfg mud terrains forever. i also like them more than the all terrains becasue the all terrains through stones too badly. however, when it comes time for new tires in the future (probably a long long time) i want to go to a 37inch and bfg makes those for 17inch rims (and mine are 16inch) so i'd pry look for something different. but still, the bfg's can't be beat in my opinion. i even did multiple jumps in the sand with the mud terrains and they never let me down. amazing tire. although like someone said above, then do tend to dig a little in the sand.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am running the new VorTrac from Interco.....I have to say this is one of the best tires I have ever had....its great on and off road in the rain, when its dry...in sand, and I am guess by the tread design the mud will be no problem..... I have 37x12.50R17....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Tires?

I run 33x12.5 on 7.5" rims on the 96. I would prefer 35s on the same rims. A change to 35s would mean new fenders and the heater box mod due to the low body desert suspension. The BFG ATs are good for the sand and the beach. Way to wimpy for the desert due to flimsey sidewall. The result I stick with Baja TA. Yes even the mild way I drive I managed to destroy one along with a rim in Martomi wash. They are so stiff they really bog down in deep sand. That rig is a gas eater, for sure. 4 for 1300+
My linked 72 EB project has 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers on 10" rims. To new for a credible report. They do have a much softer tread than the Bajas, 1100+ for 5.
My F350 has 295 BFG ATs on stock Alcoas. Great wear. An excellent tire for mostly highway driving and occasional dirt, sand, & snow. Never been stuck. A good report.
Paul

·
Registered
586 Posts
well if we are going to list trucks with tires.... next to the bronco that I posted up there....

The F250 has 39x13.50R20 Interco IROK's.....good in mud, nice riding tires, wears quick on the road....sucks in sand

The Dodge (for sale) has 15/39.5R20 Interco Truxus STS....great on and offroad...wear well...best sand tire next to paddles....suck in the mud

The F150 has 33x12.50r20 Interco Truxus M/T.... Good all around tire, good wear, decent in sand, good in mud

The Hummer (which sold) had Nitto Dune Grapplers....great sand, ok mud, great on road wet and dry traction....ok wear....

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I first got my Tundra and up until 2 years ago I ran 305/70/16 Goodyear AT/S and they were great tires. They wore excellent and drove excellent and I recomend them, I put about 50,000 miles on them with 5,000-7,000 of them off-road, with Goodyear still sells them but now calls them the Silent Armor. On my Tundra now I run the same size tire in BFG All-Terrain and it is the best tire I've ever owned and unless I'm with a team who has a tire sponsor and I can get other tires for free or cheap then this is the set of tires I will run forever. Right now I have 40,000 on this set of tires with alteast 5,000 off-road miles and not one single flat or any type of problem with them. I've only rotated them a couple of times and they don't even cup. I love the traction they get too.

On my Bronco I got a set of 37x12.50x17 Goodyear GSA race tires. IMO this is the best race tire you can get for a prerunner. It is heavy and thick, plus it's an all-terrain pattern with a radial ply so it is very street friendly. BFG race tires and Baja T/A's are okay for race and hardpack only purposes IMO. But they are a bias ply tire and they get horrible traction in the street and sub-par dirt, atleast if you have a descent amount of HP. I guess if you run an aging stock motor than traction might not be such a big issue. Also in the rain on the pavement they are not a safe tire, I had a friend roll his truck getting on the freeway in the rain with these tires, thank god the truck had a cage. The thing these tires are best for is hitting really big rocks going very fast, they will not blow. The General race tires seem to do very well in race and prerun conditions. On the street the race tires get descent traction but are similar to a Baja T/A. The worst thing about using the General race tires humm as loud as any mud terrain tire I've ever heard. They also don't wear very well and they cup bad.

I would love to try the Toyo MT race tires on my Bronco because I hear they are a good tire and I love the way they look.

·
Registered
809 Posts
i have been sponsored by 3 tire companies so i have lots of experience with how they work. but i will just talk about the ones that i have run on my prerunners since we are not really talking racing conditions.

right now i am running some nitto 35's that are not currently available to the public, it is a great all terrain tire that works very well off road and just as good on the street.

i ran 35" goodyear yellow label gsa's forever on my bronco and they are one of the best tires around, if you can get your hands on some at a swapmeet or get them through someone who has a goodyear deal you can't go wrong. they have been on my bronco for 5 years with no flats until the last trip out i got a huge stick through the sidewall, but it just leaked and never went totally flat. great tires.

bfg baja's, the race ones, not the ones that look like projects are the worst tires you can run on the street. they get flat spots and slide all over the place. but off road they will take a beating like no other, the sidewalls are so thick i don't think anything can go through them!!! great for high speed dezert but bad on the street. i love the bfg at's for my daily drivers, i have them on 3 trucks right now and they just wear great and have great street manors.

for racing the new nittos we are running are unreal!!! they are really sticky but slide when you need them to. i do get them for free so maybe i am a little biased but on our truck they work better than anything else we have run on it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
We are currently running the 37-1250-17 BFG Baja T/A on the bronco ,it has worked flawlessly ,the ride is nice there a bit heavy but so is the truck and the shit we do in it lol : ) ,I have ran the toyo's on my f150 37/17mt lasted forever and never once got stuck ,never a flat ,nothing -The tire i took off of my f150 and replaced with the toyo was the goodyear GSA 37-1250-17 ,Great tire in the desert soft stuff ,Horrible tire in the wet ,even worse on the street i put them on my truck drove to laughlin ,played out there drove back and took them off ,you feel ALL of the road with those tires ,run over anything bigger than a garden hose on the street and the fillings will fall out of your teeth

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have 31x10.5's BFG All Terrains on my daily driver Bronco and love them! I'll probably stick with them for a while because they're great on the road, silent, no problem getting through mud and snow. And best thing is the price, they're realitivly cheap compared to other tires. toothless:

·
Registered
511 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.