Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont know if this is the right section or not....

i am putting a 6 in (or so) life on an 86 bronco....im trying to figure out what the largest size tire would fit. i know 39.5 will fit but was wondering if thats the largest that will without alot of rubbing. any idea???

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,965 Posts
armywifey4life said:
dont know if this is the right section or not....

i am putting a 6 in (or so) life on an 86 bronco....im trying to figure out what the largest size tire would fit. i know 39.5 will fit but was wondering if thats the largest that will without alot of rubbing. any idea???
I'm not sure 6 inches of lift will clear an almost 40 inch tire. Why not go with 36's or 38's. This may be a dumb ?, but has the Bronco been regeared. If you go to a 39 inch tire on stock gears, that thing is going to be a pig to drive.. Has there been a solid axle put in this rig yet? Tires that large could create significant stress on the ball joints and bearings in the stock TTB setup.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,250 Posts
If its going to be more than a pavement princess I wouldn't suggest any larger than a 36-37" tire.. even with that you'd probably still want to re0gear to at least a 4.56 ratio....
I'm running 39.5s on a 6" lift + a 3" body, and I've trimmed my fenders a bit and I still rub at full flex in the front...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no it has not been regeared yet. im still trying to figure out exactly what all that means but i know i have not done it. i believe its a 4 inch suspension and a 2 in body. i could be off by an inch or 2. and no i have not changed the axle either. dont know where to begin with all this stuff and with just 3 weeks to go im starting to freak out! :banghead i just need her to run good for 2 weeks while he is home from Iraq. she willl be going out to the mudhole alot druing those 2 weeks. what do you mean when you say trimmed the fenders? thank you all for bearing with me on this. i kow it can be difficult to talk to someone who is learning all this stuff on her own.

my main goal between now and when he gets here.....

get it lifted, put tires and axles, and make sure it runs

she is in the process of getting lifted now....

she runs like a champ from what im told....

axle--???? HELP

tires--??? HELP

and someone said gears--???HELP

ansd i need to fine a nerf bar and a prerunner bumper and a spare tire hinge for the back of the truck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Look, 3 weeks and new to it, NOT a good idea to try to build a full out mud bogger.

Stick with reasonable size tires, no more than 35 tops, with a VERY aggressive tread designed for mud. Don't worry about the axles for now, probably gonna break them if you beat on it hard with bigger tires, so get serious later when you have more time and have an opportunity to learn more.

You'll have a reasonably reliable truck that's lots of fun, but no, it won't be Bigfoot. Stick with the smaller tires, it'll be something you can drive on the street, handle FAR better, and cost thousands less to build. it'll require a little restraint on his part... but will be a far more useful all-around vehicle.

You want to go into the 40-44 range on tires, you're talking thousands of bucks in 1 ton or better axles, more like 12-15 inches total lift, quite a few 'minor' parts to support that much lift, and a minimum of a week's solid hard work by people who know how.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
this is my 83 -3" body lift on Poly body mounts and rear shackle flip and beltech 4"drop shackles 4" superlift leaf springs and the front got 8" springs and Class II TTB drops. this pic is with 33"X12.50"X15 rim

here is 1/2 way thur the 33" to 40"X17"X15 rim

and here is 40"s all the way around.

i had to regear to 4:56 and ctim the front portion of the fender to clear up front and the running board to clear the back of the front. The only place i rub now is the radius arms at almost full lock left or lock right. ...mike

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Best bet is to get some decent 35" mud tires and run the thing in 1st.

why do you need nerf bars and stuff?? They dont really help ya, get beat up causing you to go :banghead

You throw some 39.5"s on there and your not gonna be making it threw any mud holes cuz you wont be able to hop a curve with the lack of power.

Trimming the fenders is like trimming your hair, ya cut it. Most people follow the lines of the fenders of an 80-86 body style, but then you got inner fender parts to contend with and you can get water in your engine bay when its not connected. Some people just trim the very front and very back of the front fenders, like maybe an 1 inch in by 5-6 angle that kinda blends in, but if you run 35's you wont need anything.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
81Bronk36 said:
Best bet is to get some decent 35" mud tires and run the thing in 1st.

why do you need nerf bars and stuff?? They dont really help ya, get beat up causing you to go :banghead

You throw some 39.5"s on there and your not gonna be making it threw any mud holes cuz you wont be able to hop a curve with the lack of power.

Trimming the fenders is like trimming your hair, ya cut it. Most people follow the lines of the fenders of an 80-86 body style, but then you got inner fender parts to contend with and you can get water in your engine bay when its not connected. Some people just trim the very front and very back of the front fenders, like maybe an 1 inch in by 5-6 angle that kinda blends in, but if you run 35's you wont need anything.
i was told and i quote "dont come at me with anything less than 39.5 tires or you will get smacked when i get home" granted he was being funny but i guess thats what he wants....

he has requested the bar and what not i dont know why but i guess he just wants them.

thank you for explaining the trimming fenders to me.

im just trying to give him what he wants. i screwed up in the first place and didnt get the year that was wanted...oopps! :cry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts