Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as everyone that does this knows how stressful this job can be. sunday morning at 10:45 we(engine2) were dispatched to resiratory arrest. wehn we got there CPR was in progress and of course you know the medics were getting tired so we took their place. My OIC was on conpressions i was on the BVM. after about 10 minutes of cpr the medics noticed a lil med braclet on his wrist. it was the DNR. so what the brilliant medics did is asked the spouse if she wanted use to stop.(great idea by putting a mans life on nen rescue) she went and talked to the rest of the family which by now was standing over us crying. we did get to stop after our OIC convinced them it was time to give it up, it was what (the dead guy) wanted. but anyway this whole stroy is basically not venting but well youall understand. i can deal with dead bodies(i had a few now) but when the family is right there watching you, thats what got to me.(no i didnt cry). well as I sadi, all the fire and rescue people understand why im telling you all but others may not.
Tim
EDIT: the time announced for hisdeath was 11:06.(i dont nkwo why i added but i just had to finish the story.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
yeah, I had a DOA on christmas eve morning. Had the daughter and grand daughter there watching as I was checking granny out. Rigor, lividity, all the signs of death. Then the daughter wants to ask if granny is dead with the 11 year old sitting right there. Grief and death affects people in strange ways that they just stop thinking.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Someone needs to chat with those medics for not looking for the alert tag.....We was always trained to look for one and I wasn't even fire rescue or medic.. Has it changed or something??? Sounds like you guys handled a bad situation well. Take care---Fog

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
thank god for the DNR. no offense to the medics on scene but when a DNR tag is prestent with or without family autherization, CPR is stopped.

here in Mass. we have a comfort care dnr, slightly different that a reguar dnr. it means that we provide comfort measures only, nothing invasive. it is also a special form, which has braclets, that arent like a medic alert tag. we can not stop cpr unless the form has been filled out completly, meaning, all the pt's info, MD's signiture, family member healthcare proxy or power of atturny, and or the Pt's signiture itself. and it needs to not have an expiration date. if we find it after cpr has been started, we stop, if family is there and says that they want it started, we dont. if it isnt there and cpr is started, family says to stop, they didnt want to be recesitated, we continue. we only honor the signed comfort care dnr. alot of nursing homes have a faclity dnr, we dont honor it. its a way to keep a standard, and it works good.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Oh the memories; my old service area typically called time of death more offen than transporting to the hospital. :shrug

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,921 Posts
when i was in the navy we were told that upon a service members injury to look for the red dog tag that would give us a heads up for any probs

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Same here, dialing 911 in Michigan is considered a "call for help" which (in a court of law) cancels all DNR set up previously.
Courts thoughts are this. If you wanted the DNR you'd contact Hospice, NOT 911.
So calling 911 for an ambulance turns any DNR into trash.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
This is something that I have always told my family.

I don't ever want to be hooked up to no machine.......UNLESS....... it's just temporary. If it's to just keep me breathing then unplug it!

To all EMT, Police, Firefighters, etc, etc my hats off to you. I am sure there are situations that are really tuff. The nurse that taught our baby classes told us about friends (EMT's) of that they have had to watch and infant chock to death on popcorn kernels because there wasn't anything they could do for the child. God how hard that would be to do!! :cry :banghead :cry :banghead :cry :banghead I don't know how I would do after/during something like this!

·
Registered
632 Posts
my dads been on the fire dept. here for over 12 years and i will be gettin on shortly, about 10 years ago on thanksgiving we had a call on the interstate, 2 women crossed the median and hit a van with 5 people in it head on, all subjects were DOA, both vehicles completly torched. needless to say when a few of my dads friends ran a fog spray to get a little bit closer to the vehicles to extinguish the flames inside, the bodies basicly went every where, after that wreak alot of my dads friends stoped going on calls and had alot of emotional probs. Its a very trying and emotional job, it definatly takes a special person to get up at 2am and go into a burning house owned by a complete stranger, many people don't appreciate fire/EMS workers as much as they should

1 - 11 of 11 Posts