Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting my 400 engine back together and Im not sure if I should use the gaskets for the exhaust manifolds or not.my book by tom monroe suggest not using them but to use graphite grease. what do you guys think.:drinkbud

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
stock exhaust manifolds to heads I have never used a gasket on fords.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my book "how to rebuild ford v8 engines "by Tom Monoe he says that these didnt have a gasket from factory.

·
Registered
712 Posts
if your 400 is anything like my 302 then installing gaskets will actually cause exhaust leaks - I have my manifolds in the Lincoln seal against the bare block, no grease or gaskets at all. Added gaskets, they leaked, pulled gaskets and no more leaks. I know, it don't make sense.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Several years ago I installed a gasket on the driver's side exhaust manifold to fix a leak. (It didn't do a thing for the leak, it was actually the casting plug rusted out on the end of the head). Anyway, I left the gasket on that side, and the other side is stock with no gasket.

After many miles since, no problems with either side. Bottom line is I don't think it matters, but I'd leave the gaskets off. Graphite grease can't hurt anything, might even help when the manifolds/heads expand from heat.

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
get a header gasket, that's what i used on mine, shop recommended it, but not sure what kind. said it much better against leaking than stock gasket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts