Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 95 Bronco in April of 2001. Been an awesome vehicle for me. About 12 years ago, I put the K&N "system" on it, removed the stock air box and whatnot. Tossed all the stock stuff, like an idiot.
Recently, it's been having intermittent starting issues when the engine is cold. Will barely idle, a few minutes later, it will suddenly run perfect and that's the end of that. It is throwing codes, 171, 172, and 189 IIRC. ( I have them written down, just not with me at the moment) I'm wondering if oils from the K&N are causing issues on the sensor. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Yep, disconnect your battery and use some maf or brake cleaner on the sensors in your intake. I use maf because one can will last a lifetime lol. If you use brake dont let it get in the intake, do it off the truck.

Mine did the same and that's exactly why. I though it may have been the breather filter I added messing up the sensors but I had been using my obd2 to clear the codes, once I reset the computer it didn't come back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, thanks. Thinking about getting the stock equipment and re-installing it.....
That could get pricey though....

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,050 Posts
Why not just replace the filter with an oil-less one like an air raid or the like. You could also look into a foam filter like a UNI filter you would run a dirt bike, just don't oil the inner.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,050 Posts
I would strongly recommend an Outerwares prefilter for which ever way you go if you go with a clamp on style filter. I run one on everything I have as it cuts down on a lot of stuff even getting on the filter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would strongly recommend an Outerwares prefilter for which ever way you go if you go with a clamp on style filter. I run one on everything I have as it cuts down on a lot of stuff even getting on the filter
Yes, thinking about getting one ASAP, put it on the K&N for the time being.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Is your 95 351 maf? if so just clean the MAF with the CORRECT cleaner, NOT brake-cleaner. Also clean the throttle plates/body with the correct stuff. I've seen a few MAF, 02 related codes and MAF codes go away just by cleaning those two things. if your truck isn't MAF i'd still clean the throttle plates regardless, I always shoot the intake air temp too when I have everything open.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your 95 351 maf? if so just clean the MAF with the CORRECT cleaner, NOT brake-cleaner. Also clean the throttle plates/body with the correct stuff. I've seen a few MAF, 02 related codes and MAF codes go away just by cleaning those two things. if your truck isn't MAF i'd still clean the throttle plates regardless, I always shoot the intake air temp too when I have everything open.
Yes, it is maf. Any particular cleaner you prefer?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
CRC makes a great product for both needs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm..... I've cleaned the MAF a couple times, the latest being last night, disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes to clear codes. Check engine light comes on again this morning. Put my budget code puller on it and it's throwing code 172. According to the book that came with it, 172 = Heated Exhaust gas, oxygen sensor-voltage signal indicates "lean" (bank #1)

·
Registered
468 Posts
K&N filters are great for drag racing.....they suck for filtering particulates out of air. Nothing filters better than the stock paper elements. The factory paper filters will keep your oil cleaner longer and protect everything else from dust, sand, pollen, and all the other airborne crap that gets sucked into an engine. Why even mess with oiled filters and non-oiled filters and pre-filters and wraps.....it's a no brainer - nothing filters better than paper.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Check your o2 sensors as well, mine threw a lean code because of a crack in the exhaust right b the sensor. The crack was my tailpipe was gone after the cats. :histerica

Still, putting a new tailpipe on fixed it. Could also be a bad sensor

·
Registered
59 Posts
K&N filters are great for drag racing.....they suck for filtering particulates out of air. Nothing filters better than the stock paper elements. The factory paper filters will keep your oil cleaner longer and protect everything else from dust, sand, pollen, and all the other airborne crap that gets sucked into an engine. Why even mess with oiled filters and non-oiled filters and pre-filters and wraps.....it's a no brainer - nothing filters better than paper.
Are you sure?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r8NajjYkFA

·
Registered
468 Posts
1. I am not sure that company is still in business. 2. Those filters are still coated with a sticky film called a tackifier to catch dirt which could still mess with MAF sensors. 3. I have seen gas and diesel engines go millions of miles on paper filters without issue....Why do you think all auto makers use paper elements - they are problem free and they get the job done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
**Update**

Cleaning the MAF sensor and replacing the air charge temp sensor got rid of all but one code. Replacing the o2 sensors took care of the final code. Now..... on to other repairs and upgrades.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,004 Posts
This has come up on virtually every Ford Hi Pro forum I've ever been on.

Most people replace Ford's True Factory Cold Air Intake box with a "K&N" style cone Hot Air Intake before they do any searching.

As this has been discussed thousands of times and even Dyno'ed to prove, you are going backwards by removing the Factory Cold Air Intake unless you replace it with a true aftermarket cold-air intake which I've never seen for Broncos.

Do a search on the subject on this forum and I'm sure you will see dozens of threads on this very topic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts