Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys, im comtemplating using a 4 ton truck as my tow rig.
the problem is liscence for that heavy truck is insane($1,700 a year) so that wont work.

I have heard of this, and want to see if you guys have, and your thoughts on it.

I have heard that by adding a 6' living area to the rig, and making it not for hire, anything can be titled as an RV. that would make my liscence for it be $65 a year.........
my understanding is an RV can drive down ANY road, bypass the weigh stations, and dont have to worry about weight ratings of the roads its on. also no CDL required.
doing this and adding a 6" living area to a chassis cab style truck would be great, and then towing as 30' trailer not knowing its back there would be sweet!

·
Still Learnin!
504 Posts
You might wana check with your local DOT. Some of the laws are changing as of Jan 1st (mainly logbook). I dant think you have to put a living area on it, just not for hire stickers. i know a couple car haulers that pull inclosed trailers that run not for hire. They dont have to stop at the scales or run logs. But it would be best to check with DOT.

As for the Tags I have no clue.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
BadassBronco said:
also no CDL required.
What's the GVWR, and what type of brakes are on it?

Laws like this vary from state to state. A lot of states will kick you into CDL B if you're heavier than 26K, and almost definitely if you have air brakes.

I've frequently seen F350/450s with car haulers getting pulled on the far side of weight stations for not stopping. Trailer weight is over 10k, you have to stop, and you have to have a CDL A to run it.

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a long chassis cab truck, tandem rear axles, witha longer stretch frame.
it has hydraulic brakes on it,
as far as CDL, around here we run our air braked trucks with no CDL required........ perfectly legal for us.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah, I looked it up. Illinois laws are weird. They don't even have an air brakes endorsement.

The RV law looks like it could kick you completely out of the CDL option... which is probably good news. Stay below 10k with the trailer weight, and you're fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts