Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice, I inherited a white 96 bronco from my father a few months ago. It has sat for the last few years and has the typical rust above the rear wheel wells. It is in need of your basic tune-up, all the fluids changed, etc.....everything works on it so far with the exception of the handle being broken off the transfer case and one of the auto hubs being broken (which I plan on changing to manuals). The further I delve into it, the more rust I am finding. I removed the grill, lights and header panel only to discover all the seams have started rusting a little. The lower part of the frame where the bumper mounts is rusty along with the bottom of the core support. My question is, is it worth my time to remove everything, grind off what I can see and cover it with something like POR-15? My concern is where the metal overlaps on all the seams is bound to have rust in between the layers so there is no way to address those areas. I'm not looking for a show truck, in all honesty I only have planned a small leveling lift for the front (2" springs with alignment coils) manual hubs, 33x12.5 BFG all terrains, headers, y-pipe and a 3" cat with matching muffler, 4:56s maybe a locker in the rear, take the top off and have fun on some local trails. I would like to have this truck for a while and not have to worry about it rusting out completely. So with all that being said, what are the key areas I should focus on keeping the truck together or just let it rot away, beat it up and have fun. I am planning on throwing on a set of fender flares to rid the rear fenders of rust. I appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Andy

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
I grew up in NJ then college in St. Louis, MO so I know what your weather will do what with all the salt or whatever they put down on the roads.....unfortunately rust is the KILLER to vehicles......

If the engine is running solid with little or no effort, ie: tune up, oil/filter change, backflush cooling system AND transmission filter/fluid service you're good to go for a while....

A lot depends on how much $$$$ you can afford, what you want to do with the BKO in terms of Mods...etc. This kind of repair is more expensive because it's very in vasive to the sheetmetal but maintaining an engine and tranny all things considered is less expensive at this point in IMO..

I would concetrate on the body rust where ever you can and get the body in good shape, grind, fix, patch or replace sheetmetal panels and joints.etc., then a decent inexpensive paint job at some point.....or eventaully the rust will eat thru everything, frame included.....

JY donor parts such as doors, hoods, fenders, tailgates, quater panels etc.. is usually a good fast way to go as long as it's cost effective vs extensive bodywork so decide which is the best route with best "end results" and the BKO comes out either a nice DD or Off Road fun vehicle..

Good Luck ~:thumbup

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I grew up in NJ then college in St. Louis, MO so I know what your weather will do what with all the salt or whatever they put down on the roads.....unfortunately rust is the KILLER to vehicles......

If the engine is running solid with little or no effort, ie: tune up, oil/filter change, backflush cooling system AND transmission filter/fluid service you're good to go for a while....

A lot depends on how much $$$$ you can afford, what you want to do with the BKO in terms of Mods...etc. This kind of repair is more expensive because it's very in vasive to the sheetmetal but maintaining an engine and tranny all things considered is less expensive at this point in IMO..

I would concetrate on the body rust where ever you can and get the body in good shape, grind, fix, patch or replace sheetmetal panels and joints.etc., then a decent inexpensive paint job at some point.....or eventaully the rust will eat thru everything, frame included.....

JY donor parts such as doors, hoods, fenders, tailgates, quater panels etc.. is usually a good fast way to go as long as it's cost effective vs extensive bodywork so decide which is the best route with best "end results" and the BKO comes out either a nice DD or Off Road fun vehicle..

Good Luck ~:thumbup

The only body rust on the whole exterior of the vehicle is above the rear wheels, everything else seems to be around all the seams behind the grill, behind the fenders, under the floor boards, etc..... the doors are rust free as is the tailgate (somehow) the frame has a decent amount of surface rust on it that seemingly comes off with a little wire brush and a little elbow grease with the exception of the lower part of the front frame (where it's crash crinkled) I'm just worried that i'm going to tear the whole thing apart, grind off all the rust, coat it all with a rust inhibitor only for the rust to rear it's ugly head a year later because it was in an area that i couldn't get to (in between the seams)

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Try looking at a "resto" thread by FSB member ~ Xris, he did an 86 and take a look at all the serious work this guy did and figure out if it's something you can do, many guys here are great welders so in cases where rust is hard to get to, you may have to cut it out and spot weld/grind in new pieces, sheetmetal etc.....:banghead

I've seen a number of guys here in cold climates like yours really dig into thier BKO like this to make it clean you know.....:rofl:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try looking at a "resto" thread by FSB member ~ Xris, he did an 86 and take a look at all the serious work this guy did and figure out if it's something you can do, many guys here are great welders so in cases where rust is hard to get to, you may have to cut it out and spot weld/grind in new pieces, sheetmetal etc.....:banghead

I've seen a number of guys here in cold climates like yours really dig into thier BKO like this to make it clean you know.....:rofl:

Yeah like i said I'm not really looking for a show truck just something that i can enjoy for the years to come without it falling apart around me. Maybe one day someone will make a complete fiberglass body to drop on the frame.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
They do make fibergalss tailgates for these BKO'S .....lol lol........like I said before if the mechanics are fine then spend time getting the rust sorted out so it won't dissolve around you...lol lol........you don't need to break the bank just make it sanitary looking.....

This is going to be a continuous work in progress Brother, like it or not....lol lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts