Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TO TUNE OR TO NOT TUNE THAT IS THY QUESTION.....well let me be more specific..

Today i called around some shops and got mixed emotions about what my plans are. One place i called was POWERTRAIN DYNAMICS in Huntington Beach, CA and the gentlemen that helped is the owner of the place nice guy btw, at this point i asked how much he charges for his services etc. and we got to the point where he had asked me if i had already purchased the hardware and software for my engine management, i said i did not but that was a lie since i have already purchased a Quarterhorse but have not yet bought the licences for the Binary Editor and EEC analyzer, so my dilemma is now that he would charge me to "tune" my setup with me, 320 for first hour 120 per hour after that with my QH and BE

, or charge me 450 for a tune setup using his DIABLO Sport software and some programmable chip, that he would retune in the case i ever change my setup and when i do would cost me another 120$ since he says there wouldnt be too much work after my initial tune. so heres my logics are mixed up

1. do i just keep my QH and pay for the licences for the BE and EEC analyzer which would cost me
QH=250$
Licensed BE with support= 195$
Services from a tuner(powertraindynamics)320+120perhr= who knows 440?
in total of or around 885$ to get a tune and some knowledge on basic tuning provided that he would explain the basics on tuning?

or
2. Pay the highly skilled highly educated professional for a Base tune and get a programmable chip that i can retune with him in the future when i change my engine setup to a 393w for 450$ and have no knowledge of how to go about tuning my own engine which im not affraid to do but im starting to realize the learning curve and its pretty complicated stuff, but nothing is ever impossible with faith and persistence. anyways i would end up paying 450 and 120 ish for a retune in the future that ends up at about 600ish

so do i jump in and get my QH BE AND BEGIN on a quest to master the arts of self tuning for a higher price OR do i just pay the pros and forget about my whole career in tuning my 24 year old DRUNCO i like to call her...... what would jesus do? what would you do? what has most DIY tuners or QUARTERHORSE OWNERS DO!!!...:popc1:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody got advice? ive been starting to learn about what it takes to tune these things and its starting to make some sense. Calibration Success makes some how to videos which ive been watching demos of so i might order on of the dvds for fords but still pondering the best way to go about this...

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Pay and play

or

Pay less, play also with learning to tune, which takes time in and of itself.

I enjoyed learning and tuning as much as my builds over the years. Would you?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,965 Posts
I enjoyed playing for a while experimenting with my base tune, but that was all I was doing..Then I paid to have someone who knew what they were doing put do it right..

If you already have the hardware, shoot Michael an email..he knows what he's doing and the price is very reasonable.

http://info.efidynotuning.com/tune.htm

·
Registered
89 Posts
The good, bad, & ugly

It depends on how far you are modifying your engine to justify a custom tune. If it's stock, I would not see the need for any custom software. If you are adding displacement, forced inductions, etc. it needs a custom tune. In my case, I decided to go the QH route and pay a credible "professional" to tune it for me. He did it through my laptop so I was able to see/watch what he was doing. The downside was he used an open sourced VEX1 strategy and HEX code to piece it together for the first two hours. It "worked" but left out critical graphing points such as air charge temperature which I needed for my setup. He also wanted more $$ for his time and updated the last tune which disabled my engine. He would not return my calls until I asked how much $$. That really pissed me off and reminded me this guy could grenade my engine and disappear. Luckily I was able to pull the previous tune to get the Bronco running. Posting questions on EECtuning.org had some responders informing me their was Hex code in the strategy and it was pointing to wrong locations. I eventually learned about "Sailor Bob" (a competitor of my "professional") who sold me a complete strategy for $25 which was able to take the tune my "professional" did. I was able to learn enough from watching the creation of the initial tune to limp along from there.

The learning curve is steep and drastic changes made could damage your engine. Solving issues can be frustraiting by seaching EECTuning.org, etc. as no easy answer may exist to your desired area of improvement. I've been learning for 2 years and continue to figure out key areas for improvement. If you leave it in the hands of "professionals", you will pay$$ for their ongoing support and the $pricing has sure increased from 2 years ago. For example, my initial tune by the "professional" left out the calibration of the Cam profile when the valves open & close despite providing the Cam profile detail to him before we began. The engine smelled like gas bad and I discovered his tune had the exhaust valve opening when the injectors were firing. I had to figure out how to make those adjustments in the tune to resolve that problem.

You need to decide what your commitment is going to be in time & $$.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
It depends on how far you are modifying your engine to justify a custom tune. If it's stock, I would not see the need for any custom software. If you are adding displacement, forced inductions, etc. it needs a custom tune. In my case, I decided to go the QH route and pay a credible "professional" to tune it for me. He did it through my laptop so I was able to see/watch what he was doing. The downside was he used an open sourced VEX1 strategy and HEX code to piece it together for the first two hours. It "worked" but left out critical graphing points such as air charge temperature which I needed for my setup. He also wanted more $$ for his time and updated the last tune which disabled my engine. He would not return my calls until I asked how much $$. That really pissed me off and reminded me this guy could grenade my engine and disappear. Luckily I was able to pull the previous tune to get the Bronco running. Posting questions on EECtuning.org had some responders informing me their was Hex code in the strategy and it was pointing to wrong locations. I eventually learned about "Sailor Bob" (a competitor of my "professional") who sold me a complete strategy for $25 which was able to take the tune my "professional" did. I was able to learn enough from watching the creation of the initial tune to limp along from there.

The learning curve is steep and drastic changes made could damage your engine. Solving issues can be frustraiting by seaching EECTuning.org, etc. as no easy answer may exist to your desired area of improvement. I've been learning for 2 years and continue to figure out key areas for improvement. If you leave it in the hands of "professionals", you will pay$$ for their ongoing support and the $pricing has sure increased from 2 years ago. For example, my initial tune by the "professional" left out the calibration of the Cam profile when the valves open & close despite providing the Cam profile detail to him before we began. The engine smelled like gas bad and I discovered his tune had the exhaust valve opening when the injectors were firing. I had to figure out how to make those adjustments in the tune to resolve that problem.

You need to decide what your commitment is going to be in time & $$.
Never never never never tune the engine yourself. If you are using a chip/programmer, that is one thing, but if you are talking about actually going in and tuning your engine specs DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF WITHOUT SOME SORT OF SUPERVISION WITH SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THEIR SHIT!!

We are not on a import website here, so it's not prevalent at all, but I belong to quite a few large import car websites and the biggest thing stressed when it comes to tuning is to go to someone who knows their shit. PAY FULL PRICE, EVEN IF EXPENSIVE, TO SOMEONE WITH HIGH CREDIBILITY WHO HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS!! - It will cost you extra $$, trust me at the end of the day it is worth it. Many many many people have blown motors because they decided to shit out on a tune for a turbo build, or a complete tune of their vehicle, and the parameters given by the tuner caused the engine to grenade.

PAY THE MONEY, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

If you are planning on doing a chip & programmer, forget it. It's not worth it. You could get more horsepower saving your money and buying a supercharger, or some heads, or anything better than a chip. Unless you are running a diesel, a chip and programmer are worthless. Even with a shitty "Tuned" program on top of it. 20 horsepower. Tops.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it seems like im going to save myself some money and take my truck to the TUNER and Pay the 450$ for a tune then when i add some displacement i will go back to him for another tune that he says might cost me around 150 since my motor setup would probably be the same just with some more displacement..

my original plan was to "learn" a thing or two while the tuner "showed" me what he was doing "what to look for" what to change how to change and why the change things along the way of those lines... im not completely competent on software that alters certain data logs to manage something(ecu). i do know my way around some software's that do similar things like reprogramming cellphones to different carries which ive been doing for a living for about 10 years so with that experience im semi confident on learning the basics of tuning after all and ecu is an ecu wether its a handheld ecu that you use to communicate with the world etc or an ecu thats made to communicate with an engine the basic principle is there... i think for the most part what i now plan to do is get my maf conversion done although i will be using a truck MAF which to what ive read wont work with my Mustang ecu a9p and i dont want to buy another maf since the mustang one is smalll, take my truck with my 302 setup to the tune shop dial it in, and enjoy:thumbup then when my 393 stroker is ready go back for a future tune with the hopes of having some COIN in my pocket once im done paying for services from the gentleman who has a Degree in Mechanical Engineering and that was referred to me by The Mustang Man(thats what i call him) btw Guy has a notchback mustang 500hp 302 blown meth injected monster.

thanks broskies

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another question and its probably dumb i posted this elsewhere but anyways if i use my truck maf on my mustang computer will it not work completely? or will it run good enough to take it to the tune shop to have it dialed in for the ecu? i dont want to have to tow the truck there and i dont want to buy a mustang maf just to get it to the tune shop either.

money isnt an issue with my project well not that big of an issue anyways but im the type of guy just like many of you that doesnt feel the need to waste time or money so what you guys think will it run?

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
another question and its probably dumb i posted this elsewhere but anyways if i use my truck maf on my mustang computer will it not work completely? or will it run good enough to take it to the tune shop to have it dialed in for the ecu? i dont want to have to tow the truck there and i dont want to buy a mustang maf just to get it to the tune shop either.

money isnt an issue with my project well not that big of an issue anyways but im the type of guy just like many of you that doesnt feel the need to waste time or money so what you guys think will it run?
Not an expert, it may run, but from all my reading it will NOT run well. You need a tune/tuner to make the newer meter "communicate" properly with the Mustang computer.

tim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not an expert, it may run, but from all my reading it will NOT run well. You need a tune/tuner to make the newer meter "communicate" properly with the Mustang computer.

tim
thanks broskie haha been using that one alot lately but would do for me just gona drive the thing to the tune shop with the truck maf and have the guy do his thang.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried a a9l on my rig but it didnt like it at all, I tried to get it to run with the tuner but to no avail (im still very new to BE). Ended up finding a HOG0 and rewiring again and was way better and drivable

·
Registered
1 Posts
have a 1988 ford bronco 302 engine ....it will run when until it get hot and then cut off until it gets cold and then will crank back ....I have replaces dist which had a new icm on it I have also replace the fuel reg.... any help will help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts