Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new around here and have done a lot of reading. Now here is my short story long. Last October I bought a $500 Bronco that was left for a few months at a shop after they hauled it in and replaced the starter. I guess the owner thought the tow bill and storage and the new started was to much. I asked for the info for the previous owner but the shop said they didn't have his number. I even tried looking him up on line but can't find a working number. the previous owner had removed all the carpet back panels and had some crappy seats welded to the floor. Not alot of rust, just a little over the back fenders and the tailgate.

302efi
AOD
33" tires

It starts and runs but smokes like crazy. Transmission shifts good but it won't stay in overdrive. Shifts up and down. I can run up to 60 and when it shifts up to overdrive I can hold it to the floor and it still starts slowing down until it kicks back out of overdrive. I'm thinking the motor is week and pushing those 33" tires is hard on it.

In the back of this bronco was a rusted bare block that looks like it was machined and a box of engine parts, roller lifters. My guess was they found a crack in one of the cylinders and stopped the rebuild. after reading on here I believe it maybe a 351w because the intake has oval holes. Why a complete tore apart engine rusted was in the back, I can't imagine.

I ran this bronco all winter and it did really good in the snow and around the house.

Now part 2.

I was looking at craiglist and found a wreaked 88 bronco with so called good running 302efi engine. This bronco was bought for $1600 from a car lot about 3 weeks before and the kid hit some ice and ran it into a several big trees. New brakes, exhaust and everything so it would pass inspection. The front end was smashed in and we couldn't get the hood open or hear it run, but the interior looked good so I bought it for $400.

I stripped all the interior from the wreaked bronco and now have my bronco looking good. Now that winter is over I desided to pull the engine from the wreaked bronco and swap it into mine. The front end was smashed back into the fan but the engine looks ok. It has oil all over the front of engine but it looks like its coming from the distributor and valve covers. I'm not sure I want to just put this engine in with out overhauling it. I'm this deep in.

I started unhooking things and noticed the air box said 5.8L. So I did a little more research and now I believe the wreaked bronco is really a 351w with a C6 transmission.

Now here is my questions.

Should I just rebuild my 302efi or should I rebuid the 351w efi?

Will the wreaked 88 351w efi be a roller engine?

If I rebuild the 351w efi and it's not roller, should I use my parts in the box and make it roller?

Which transmission should I use, the AOD or the C6?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would stick with the 302. Just clean up the 351 and c6 and put it up for sale or trade for a rebuilt 302. It should only take maybe 4 to 5 hours to R AND R your 302. Even better if you can get a motor and a trans at the same time and replace it all at once. Just a few more bolts to pull and it will come out and go back in one piece. If you switch to the 351 you will prob need a new computer at the least. Then there is the no overdrive issue with the c6. If you want a bit more grunt out of the 302, get one out of a newer truck so it is a roller engine and add gt40 heads, headers and full exhaust. That should be plenty of grunt for that truck.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
I would stick with the 302. Just clean up the 351 and c6 and put it up for sale or trade for a rebuilt 302. It should only take maybe 4 to 5 hours to R AND R your 302. Even better if you can get a motor and a trans at the same time and replace it all at once. Just a few more bolts to pull and it will come out and go back in one piece. If you switch to the 351 you will prob need a new computer at the least. Then there is the no overdrive issue with the c6. If you want a bit more grunt out of the 302, get one out of a newer truck so it is a roller engine and add gt40 heads, headers and full exhaust. That should be plenty of grunt for that truck.

i agree. i wish i would have used the K.I.S.S. method myself but i spun a bearing in my lil weak 302, and this 460 fell into my lap, so i jumped on it. if i was you, i would Keep It Simple Stupid and sell the 351, and your 302, and pick up a 5.0 explorer engine and throw that in there with a mild cam and with the gt40 heads and intake it will be more then adequate for the bronco.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts