Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall I have been reading a bit about shadofax and jrdbronco's rear 60's that they drilled and used a press on toner in their lockers.. very cool idea. My question is... and I have tried searching but having no luck.... can this be done to any other rear axles like a 9" or a 14 bolt? or is the housing on the 60 just well suited for this?

thanks for your help...

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
You can mount the sensor through the cover or the housing it doesnt mater the trick is the tone ring fitting on the diff ford made d60 with tone rings it makes it easier to install on a d60 without a sensor as far as i now ford didn't make a 9 inch tone ring rear end i dunt know about the 14 inch.:thumbup

·
Registered
606 Posts
i have seen one or two on here built into the pinion on a nine inch some how, it was really trick but would prolly not be cost effective.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
IIVIIoonshiner said:
Hey yall I have been reading a bit about shadofax and jrdbronco's rear 60's that they drilled and used a press on toner in their lockers.. very cool idea. My question is... and I have tried searching but having no luck.... can this be done to any other rear axles like a 9" or a 14 bolt? or is the housing on the 60 just well suited for this?

thanks for your help...
It can always be done, but will likely require more thought/fab. You would have to use a toner from some other application, since there is no toner "made" for a 14B or 9" I don't believe. Since my detroit was made to accept the toner, it pushed right on. with the axles above, you will likely have to do some very careful welding. It was also very simple to drill the D60 as it has a nice flat spot up top. You can attach the sensor through the diff cover, but you have to remember, it's a fairly intricate deal...the sensor is supposed to rest no more than about 1.1MM from the toner or you'll end up with erratic or signal problems, likely affecting your tranny.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
The 9 can use the 8.8 carrier with a slight bit of machine owrk to the carrier to get the toner and its index key pressed on. The 14-bolt you are out of luck. Nothing came with toner ring remotely close to size. I'm not sure that I feel comfortable drilling out the 9" housing to mount the sensor...so I think I'm goign to go with a pinion-mounted ring and build a bracket to mount the VSS.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Saurian said:
The 9 can use the 8.8 carrier with a slight bit of machine owrk to the carrier to get the toner and its index key pressed on. The 14-bolt you are out of luck. Nothing came with toner ring remotely close to size. I'm not sure that I feel comfortable drilling out the 9" housing to mount the sensor...so I think I'm goign to go with a pinion-mounted ring and build a bracket to mount the VSS.
This will be outside the diff then? Won't it be subject to damage/mud, etc? Anyone actually successfully running one? Just curious.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Mike Hall said:
Will the toner ring fit the Power-loc carrier? What other carriers will work with the toner ring?
I had my power lock d60 machined to fit the tone ring it cost me 40$:thumbup

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
It will be more susceptible to mud/debris, but I don't really need that when I'm going through the mud drags. I don't think when I'm cruising around town I have anything to worry about. I'll disconnect it when I get to the mudding. Just need to find a decent tach and find the wires in my dash...

As far as running one, most run it up top on the transfer case but I have a slip yoke. I'm considering swapping to a fixed yoke case, but that's extra expense I don't want to spend at the moment. But I WOULD rather run it up there. Plus with my damn driveshaft situation I would LOVE to have fixed yokes in case I blow something again.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this may have just been covered but can't you just get the rear yoke of a pre-92 BW transfer case and make that work in place of the Rear of transfercase of my 94? seems like it would be a bolt up fix just re-gear it to be speedo accurate?

maybe not am i off?

If this is an easy fix then why do people worry about what rear end they use?

Beau

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hrm ok let me try to de-stupify my question. I believe that pre-92 the vss for speedo etc... was in the rear of the transfercase correct? my 94 had it in the 8.8 rear end. if a fella was gonna run a non vss rear... example ford 9"... could he get a transfer case from a 1992 or prior truck and use that in place of the 94 version and cure vss problems? or does this not work? I am trying to figure out multiple options. Also if this does work has anyone tried it and does it work well? or worse?

hope this clarifies what i was asking.

thanks for any and all help.

Beau

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
The e4od tranny was ran off of sensors at the t-case for pre92 fsbs. The sensor wasn't needed for the AOD or C6. The sensor in the rear diff was used for the RABS on the pre92 FSB.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
IIVIIoonshiner said:
hrm ok let me try to de-stupify my question. I believe that pre-92 the vss for speedo etc... was in the rear of the transfercase correct? my 94 had it in the 8.8 rear end. if a fella was gonna run a non vss rear... example ford 9"... could he get a transfer case from a 1992 or prior truck and use that in place of the 94 version and cure vss problems? or does this not work? I am trying to figure out multiple options. Also if this does work has anyone tried it and does it work well? or worse?

hope this clarifies what i was asking.

thanks for any and all help.

Beau
I tried that it didn't work for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I guess I should have gave more details! I'm installing a 1978 D60/4:56 gears with disc brakes in my FSB. And plan on using a NP205 transfer case on the E4OD. I just wanted to know what carriers i can use with the toner???
Thank for your help

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you still can't follow me then I am obviously mis-understanding one of these concepts... here is what I gather... tell me what i'm missing please. lol sorry i'm dumb. The VSS in my rear 8.8 right now (1994 f-150 m5od borgs warner transfercase) same as a bronco is used for speed sensoring, ABS, and Cruise control... am i corect in this...

in a pre-1992 truck that had a similar setup the rear axle only did ABS... is this right...???? If this is right then was there a toner or something in the rear of the transfercase that did cruise control and more importantly speedo? I am unconcerned with cruise control I was just wondering if I used a pre-92 transfercase will that work or do they use totally different computers or am i using faulty information. ?

I am not proud.. if I am wrong please tell me i am just trying to learn.

Thanks guys

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
ahhh. you have a manual tranny, so the VSS isnt totally crucial for you. in 92 and later rigs, the VSS controls the RABS and when the E4OD tranny shifts. obviously witht he M5OD, you control the shifting. all you will lose is the speedo. you *might* need a different computer, and you may not. some people have had issues when the computer doesnt get the signal it likes,and has affected the motor. others have had no problems.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
92 and later Bronco's and F-series require a VSS signal to operate the PSOM. With a manual you just lose your odometer, speedometer, Cruise, and RABS. 92 and down only lose the RABS. 92 and up when equipped with an electronic transmission also lose their transmissions functionability with this swap as well.

The signals are different, so you cannot run off the T-case VSS. Sorry. If you have a fixed yoke for hte rear then you can easily run a small VSS relocator up there though and be perfectly fine.

Your options for a VSS are 8.8, 10.25, and D60's from 3/4-1ton van's from like 91-97.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
IIVIIoonshiner said:
If you still can't follow me then I am obviously mis-understanding one of these concepts... here is what I gather... tell me what i'm missing please. lol sorry i'm dumb. The VSS in my rear 8.8 right now (1994 f-150 m5od borgs warner transfercase) same as a bronco is used for speed sensoring, ABS, and Cruise control... am i corect in this...

in a pre-1992 truck that had a similar setup the rear axle only did ABS... is this right...???? If this is right then was there a toner or something in the rear of the transfercase that did cruise control and more importantly speedo? I am unconcerned with cruise control I was just wondering if I used a pre-92 transfercase will that work or do they use totally different computers or am i using faulty information. ?

I am not proud.. if I am wrong please tell me i am just trying to learn.

Thanks guys

Yea in pre-92s the VSS is in the Tcase. The sensor in the rear axle is just for ABS. My VSS went out one time and i could've sworn the transmission was shot. It was having shifting spasms and the truck wouldn't go over 35mph....But yea, the VSS is in the Tcase on pre-92s, its just like a speedo cable but the gear is attached to a little sensor thingy..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts