Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have my top off but you can see the holes in the bed rails and the top of the cab where the headliner meets the backing. it looks kind of cheesy.

can i just put back on the trim that i took off to get the lid off?
or what other suggestions do you have. i just want to make it look a little more clean with the roof off.

i was also thinking about rhino lining the bed rails so when everyone is jumping in and out of the bronco, it holds up

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had thought about putting the trim back on mine also, but it wouldn't fit properly w/o the roof on. I also realized that it might be a bad idea to try too, because I could just imagine my kids grabbing onto it to use as hand hold to get up from the back seat and ripping it down and accidentally breaking it. :cry

I'm thinking it would be a bad idea to put any kind of permanant covering over the caps; there is a weather seal that runs the length of the bottom of the roof rails on mine and Rhino Lining would disrupt the seal and you could run into leaking issues. :duh

In short, you'll just have to manage to ignore it, it's all part of the roughneckness we get to enjoy with our Bronco ownership...besides...you'll just be seeing it like that until the weather changes back anyways. ;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Buy a soft top and paint the "fasttrak" rails black. The makes the bed side look alot better. I also paint the cab back area black and put rubber plugs in all the holes. If you lower your tailgate, you will see a round rubber cap/plug by the tailgate cables. Pop one off and go to the ford dealer and get 4 more (if I recall), those will fill some of the holes in the cab. Trim all the metal edges with black door edgeing.
As for the head liner, I havent come up with anything yet

·
FSM Lifetime
2,239 Posts
Buy a soft top and paint the "fasttrak" rails black. The makes the bed side look alot better. I also paint the cab back area black and put rubber plugs in all the holes. If you lower your tailgate, you will see a round rubber cap/plug by the tailgate cables. Pop one off and go to the ford dealer and get 4 more (if I recall), those will fill some of the holes in the cab. Trim all the metal edges with black door edgeing.
As for the head liner, I havent come up with anything yet

Your truck is so beautiful! :thumbup Love the soft top. Is it the bronco graveyard one?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Your truck is so beautiful! :thumbup Love the soft top. Is it the bronco graveyard one?
stop it you'll make me blush!

Thank you. The top is STC's top, but they stop making it years ago. Its the same design as Jeffs (they bought the STC design) BUT, STC's have tinted windows and use a flat vinyl for the top. Jeffs have clear windows:barf, and a shiny vinyl

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just got my bronco painted and they ended up taking the top off and painting the bed rails the same color as the body. it looks really nice and it looks smooth. i just left the holes open but it still looks fine. ill post pictures soon

thanks for all your suggestions

·
Registered
980 Posts
You could buy a junk top and cut the top up to make a trim piece. Basically you cut the mounting point of the top off the top. fiberglass the holes you make by cutting it. Then paint it. I think I saw someone do it on the site awhile back. I thought it looked cool.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i was thinking about doing something like that to a spare top. possibly make it a custom fastback with removable canvass, is that what you(clydesdale) were suggesting to me in another thread? i didn't catch what you meant, but now after seeing it, i think i gotcha. what would you guys consider a reasonable price for an old hard top? might have to start looking around for one to do up like that. and are the tops year specific, or are some interchangeable? mines a 78-79, so i guess what i mean, are 80-96 tops the same or different?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Cut diamond plate bed rails to bolt in place on the sides drill holes where itd mount usin ur top hardware so you dont lose it

·
Registered
413 Posts
i was thinking about doing something like that to a spare top. possibly make it a custom fastback with removable canvass, is that what you(clydesdale) were suggesting to me in another thread? i didn't catch what you meant, but now after seeing it, i think i gotcha. what would you guys consider a reasonable price for an old hard top? might have to start looking around for one to do up like that. and are the tops year specific, or are some interchangeable? mines a 78-79, so i guess what i mean, are 80-96 tops the same or different?

according to all the info i have found yes the 78-79 are differant then the 80-91, as well as the 92-96. they wont snug up by the rear windows but i am sure you could make a small mod to fix that. and please dont take my word as stone as i havent found anythng in stone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Guys i bought a Extra Hard Top this weekend and was wanting to cut all of it out Except a 3" to 4" Trim all the way around.

Basically Leave the space under the Windows and follow that line all the way around.

Has this been done before.

Any Pictures.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,170 Posts
Has been done before, try looking under Ranger429 his bronco has a soft top installed to a cut top like you discribe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts