Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the other day I took off the top for S N G rode for a few days with out it. It rained today and I have to go to work tomorrow and have to be able to secure my bko so I put the top back on (what a pita by your self in the rain and I only have 3" lift and 32's) so my problem now is the window (plain glass no defroster) would only roll up half way before it bound up in the rubber and slowly proceeded the rest of the way up. That was the first time then I tried to roll it down it would move about 3/4" down and stop. I used a little leverage and got it down then tried to roll it back up and it went about 6" up and stopped. So I loosened the top bolts up and spread it out as much as I could then bolted it down while tweaking on it. Now it will roll up about half way quick then slows down dramatically it does roll up all the way and even rolls back down. what should I do to fix this properly? perhaps a new rubber or just spread the top? Has any one else had a similar problem and yes I did a search first found a lot of problems with the switches, back windows breaking and bad motors. I dont think my motor is bad it was working fine before I pulled the top 3 days ago. I did double check the front/upper/top bolts and the two on the sides to ensure they were as tight as I could get them with a 1/4" ratchet. Sorry for the long post just wanted to be thorough with my question and info.

·
Registered
473 Posts
silicone lubricant on the rubber and wax both sides of the back window. It will fly up down.
Also I had my wiring harness get snagged on the the key switch once. make sure thats not happening.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
If it worked fine before and not so much after, it still sounds like the top isn't on perfectly straight. Does your top still have the alignment pins, or just the bolts?

As 96 FSB said though, some silicone spray on the rubber (as well as opening up the tailgate and greasing everything up), really helps with window speed and strength.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it worked fine before and not so much after, it still sounds like the top isn't on perfectly straight. Does your top still have the alignment pins, or just the bolts?

As 96 FSB said though, some silicone spray on the rubber (as well as opening up the tailgate and greasing everything up), really helps with window speed and strength.
It only has the bolts no alignment pins where would they be located and can they be obtained any where else than the J/Y

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
They're most likely a junk yard only item. Near the rear of the bed rail (about a foot from the back), there should be a slotted groove in the shell, and a threaded hole in the body. Crawl into any '80 - '91 Bronco and unscrew those two pins and screw them into yours. They have a hex head in them, but you may be able to just unscrew them by hand.
It should help to get the top lined up straight for the rear window.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i agree with AbandonedBronco, it sounds like an alignment issue. i remove and replace my top regularly and every-once-in-a-while i have the very same issue. it seems like when it happens, i can always fix it by pushing the top forward just a bit more. i just re-align it by standing on the tailgate (with it open) and pick up the top by the rear and jamb it forward. im not familiar with the pins, but they sound worth looking into.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed it. It was all in how I was holding my tongue. seriously though when I first put it back on I started all the bolts the tightened the top ones first then the sides and last rears. So I noticed the gap around the radius at the front bottom of the top didn't look right and decided to redo it. I loosened all the bolts, lifted the top, put it down, started all the bolts, tightened the bolts on the side/ radius first, then the top bolts and finally spread the top while tightening the back bolts. worked like a charm. The window works better now than it used to.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
Great! Glad you got it lined back up and that's all it was. How the top goes on can make a big difference. One thing I also do is put the top on without any bolts, put the back window up, and then put the bolts in. Seems to help too. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Fixed it. It was all in how I was holding my tongue. seriously though when I first put it back on I started all the bolts the tightened the top ones first then the sides and last rears. So I noticed the gap around the radius at the front bottom of the top didn't look right and decided to redo it. I loosened all the bolts, lifted the top, put it down, started all the bolts, tightened the bolts on the side/ radius first, then the top bolts and finally spread the top while tightening the back bolts. worked like a charm. The window works better now than it used to.
This is how i put the top back on my '79. The alignment pins are long gone. I put the 3 bolts in across the top and then one in each corner of the bed rail. I tighten the 3 top ones first to pull the top forward and then the 2 front bed rail and the 2 rear bed rail. I've never had window binding issues doing it this way.

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
One more thing. The screws only get tightened so much or the top will squeek over bumps etc. Long screws are 7-10 ft lbs & the short screws are 13-20 ft lbs. My top squeeked when it got cold out, like mornings etc. so I backed them all off, started with the sides of the cab, then the top, then down the rails & it quit squeeking altogether!! Just FYI for anyone with a squeeky top.....and definitely spray some dry silicone spray into the w/strp groves every so often for the window. Dry silicone spray won't collect dirt & dust like greasey stuff will..-Kevin- :thumbup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts