Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok It's been damn near 7 years since I really cracked a rusty bolt and broke a knuckle trying to crack one loose swapping out a blown 305 with a Crate HO 350 in my ol Bird...That was one Bad motor btw :whiteflag to those that hate on GMC.

so I am starting out I am not going matco or any @#$#% like that 6k tool set. I see some people just have an absurd amount of tools that really gives me some "tool envy?":cry

But Ok so I see craftsman I used to beat the hell out of these tools and bent a handle or 2 but only shattered one ratchet by hand. A I am thinking of getting a couple air tools. Cratsman has a ratcher/hammer/gun kit saw one used for cheap 75 bucks or so.

1. feedback has Craftsman gone plastic like tonka?
2. Good cheap solid won't crack them to morrow tools AND

NEED TO HAVE Tools. Obviously from the start I am doing an oil change hopefully remembering how to check timing I want to flush the motor clean all the gunk (to my old ignah'ent ways this meant drain the oil put in a new filter and a quart or 2 of engine flush run it for a minute and drain it.) Has new wires rotor plug and no exhaust. But I mean a decent core of tools that I will want for doing most any none highly technical jobbers.

Also teehee Ok am I twisted or is there a decent way you could say..find a totalled f250 or f350 with a nice powerstroke...4x4 and transplant that into a bronco? short of perhaps reorganizing some of the tranny/motor mounts and possibly relocating radiators...?Has anyone done it?

Thanks for reading my rant and hope to get some feed back. also engine block numbers it's an 82 and he said it's a 302 however it's obviously been repainted at the least (blue) and that can also mean it was replaced. AND holy crap this keeps getting longer. Manifold/carb combos My chubbie loved an edelbrock combo however I don't see many that seem enticing for that year FSB..at least not CA legal.

P.S. Crap I forgot again. Brakes work great when I tap them standing at a light truck keeps pushing forward pedal slowly dips to the floor...bad master? No not leaking fluid...at least not out of the break lines. AND who knows CA law about running dual exhaust? I am considering single 3 inch OR 2 inch H pipe duals...Yes I know my typing is a little tough to understand please bear with me. Lets see I had another question....OH cheap shock replacements that work fairly well...U Joints I haven't checked them all yet and I am damn sure I will regret it but any ideas? Also carb sputters alot at a stop sometimes it seems to catch itself while it's sputtering and coughing then idles normal and nice as soon as your on the gas a little it's happy go lucky. I'm guessing Carb needs cleaning?

Again thanks for reading the rant.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Get a large set of craftmans tools I think the box set it like 260 tools or so and they are on sell all the time. Also ditto for a air ratchet and impact gun get those in Ingersol Rand or Craftman a grease gun will come in handy for zerks as well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright so I'm heading down the right path with craftsman. Any specific tools I'm going to want for

A perhaps running additional lights Off road /turn your high beams off @$$hole lights. Suspension tie rod ends and carb that's about as deep as i'll really dig into the motor for now.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
do what I do, buy tools as you go. before you know it you'll have more than youll have room for.lol

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
get a extendable magnetic tool when you drop fastners and tools in hard to reach places. you can get cheap ones at awful zone for a couple bucks. i have a nice craftmans that has a light in the tip and a cheapy that can pick up more weight than the craftmans. buy some cheap sockets and get good ratchets until you can afford the better tools and when you upgrade throw the cheapo tools in a tool box and put them in the truck.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i bought the craftsman set of air tools that comes with the impact a ratchet and a air chisel for $100 and it has done well for me. i also have one af the 260 or so piece tool kits that i got years ago for under $200. they have both done me well and the warranty is great. I haven't busted any of my hand tools but before i got my set i broke a few of my friends and they replaced them no questions asked.

·
Registered
457 Posts
do what I do, buy tools as you go. before you know it you'll have more than youll have room for.lol
Yeah thats a great way to get about it, you might want to pick up a set of impact sockets from Harbor Frieght for your impact gun and a set of sockets for your air ratchet.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok sockets I get I need those. Will I be switching from standard to metric alot or am I safe getting standard?

Remember I don't plan on going out and putting 1,000 dollars in tools in one day but I don't want to be greased up torn down and not have the tool to get bearings out/in or need to go buy something before I can finish kind of deal.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grease gun!! Actually I'm also looking on Craigs list here n there for something decent. As far as the air ratchet/gun how important short time is it to go with the bigger dollar guns? for instance that gun he linked was 200 some odd dollars...perhaps a little extreme lol. Again thanks for reading I have limited experience so I'll be learning fords as I bleed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can take apart most of the entire bronco with 7/16 -- 3/4, 1-1/8, 1-5/16,
sockets,straight blade, phillips, a spindle socket, slide hammer, allen wrenches.
That should have your truck all to pieces. Slide hammer and spindle socket can be rented from Zone.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
justs get the tools BEFORE you start the project:D ....I still haven't learned....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can take apart most of the entire bronco with 7/16 -- 3/4, 1-1/8, 1-5/16,
sockets,straight blade, phillips, a spindle socket, slide hammer, allen wrenches.
That should have your truck all to pieces. Slide hammer and spindle socket can be rented from Zone.
Thank You!!! Now hopefully I can find the post I put in another section regarding the uhh..well initial "damage" control I will need and get some opinions there!!! Thank you all very much for the idea's I found a good solid set of tools that would work (when I took the HO 350 out of my 77 1/2 ton 1 ton converted shortbed chubbie I had alot more resources tool wise and I didn't give a shit what went wrong I'd just get more blood and dirt in the mix till it was fixed...I'm older..and uhh...well...uhh..smarter? hmmmm I might need to rethink that idea.

So really.....distributor in the front huh.......... ;)

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Most of the craftsman socket sets are 12 point. They are ok but I would suggest getting some 6 point socket sets as well to keep from rounding off those stuborn or worn nuts and bolts!! Also get yourself some impact universal sockets, they make life much easier. If you cant spring for a whole set get 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, they are the most used. A smal pry bar set is usefull as well. I would wait to buy any specialty tools until you need them. But since your going to working on your timeing a timeing light would be in order and maybe a vacum gauge as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah man, dizzy in the front, but centrifugal advance on the bottom :banghead Loved how everything sits right on top with the HEI in my old Chevy, but I sure hated setting the timing on that one (5" valve covers, good luck slipping a wrench on that clamp bolt).

On one of your questions - your brake pedal slightly sinking when at a light is just the issue I had with my Lincoln ever since I got that car years ago, finally got annoyed one day and replaced the master cylinder - issue solved! Tis an internal leak, as in fluid leaks back past the cup seals and up in the fluid tanks, you can't see it cause you really ain't losing no fluid.

Also, the diesel engine will require different wiring, especially if tis a modern diesel with all the electronic stuff they got.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...e=Tools+&+Equipment&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

sorry that's such a long link I don't know how people shorten those up. That's the tool set or perhaps a larger version of what I was looking to get to begin with. I just remember only needing a few sizes but many lengths lol. Any special tools for motorcraft carbs.

ps. portable battery powered impact guns? I saw some craftsman impact electric guns any feedback?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most of the craftsman socket sets are 12 point. They are ok but I would suggest getting some 6 point socket sets as well to keep from rounding off those stuborn or worn nuts and bolts!!
That was actually a curiousity of mine...if 12 point was somehow better than old 6 point or what?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts