Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on steering wheel maintenance and people have mentioned buying a few different tools when they do it. Snap ring pliers were mentioned, I figure for sure I need a steering wheel puller. Anything else that would make the job less painful?

For a little info I am 90% sure my upper ignition actuator is broken on my '90 Bronc and that is what I need to replace and the reason I am taking apart the steering column.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright good stuff, I had seen the standard but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything as lots of people seem to think this is a pain in the rear to do the first time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just knocked it out and replaced the Ignition Actuator with a brand new one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COCXR2

I also needed an electric sander which helped me sand down that ignition actuator so that it could actually fit in the slot without taking apart the entire column. I shaved down the end to a curve on the left side and shaved the bottom off a bit so it could turn. I don't think there are any ill effects from this and it seems most people do it. Doing this prevented me from needing the ring clip pullers.

Also a not that a small punch would have been a big help but a small hammer and some needle nose pliers did the job in place of a punch.

Happy to say she's up and running again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts