Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched but could not find anyone or anthing on this and feel free to laugh but i was wondering if anyone has or knows what would be involved in removing the glass from the top? i was thinking instead of a soft top, just removing the glass from the tpp might accomplish some of the same aspects. i do understand some weather might still get in. i was thinking about getting a second top, pulling the glass and using that for the summertime. any ideas?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think Steve has a nice write up on it, I'm sure he'll chime in.

·
Man of endless projects
9,288 Posts
I jsut used my size 12 boots and stomped the windows out of my old trucks topper lol. surprisingly enough they came out completely undamaged so I decided to save them.

you could try and get some custom vinyl windows made in place or the originals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool. Glad it wasn't as far fetched an idea. Steve, how did you remove the glass to begin with. Can I use a pry tool around the weatherstripping?

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
^ Man I want those.. But I'd prefer to keep $500 in my bank..

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
^ Man I want those.. But I'd prefer to keep $500 in my bank..
Yep, and then when you decide you really want one, they'll be gone, gone, gone.

The sliders are nearly the cost of a soft top, but it fits a different need.

Also, CRL makes a sun roof that helps let the sun in. I did both and like them both. Sunroof was cheaper but more labor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thanks so much. I read the write up Steve and will post pics as soon as I'm done. I'm pretty stoked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the glass out. I did however remove them differently.i used a pry tool and started on the back corner and prayed from the outside in. Very easy. Took for a ride after putting the top back on and no wind whistling or added wind noise. So now off to paint it. Thanks so much for the help.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
I need help removing Rear Glass so I can get my Hard Top Painted.

Do I push the Glass in or push from inside to Outside.
Push from the inside, out. Have an assistant catch it.

I've pushed mine out but it also helps to "rope" it out. Use a soft pliable rope like clothes line and (from inside) run the rope around the perimeter of the rubber, keeping it tight. Make sure it goes between the weatherstrip and the top (window opening. As you progress, it will become obvious what's going on.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
BTW, once it's painted, when you want to put it back, the same rope technique is useful. Clothes line is cheap.
The rubber is generally pretty pliable unless you're in someplace where the sun will bake it. You can roll it back in by putting the rubber on the glass, and putting the bottom slot of the weather strip in place and working it back in place.

Use diluted liquid dish soap in a spray bottle to ease getting it back in.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,492 Posts
I just recently pulled my windows out of my top so it could be painted. I found this thread and used the "rope" trick but it was with a slight twist. I didn't have a rope on hand and was looking for something to use in place of the rope. My wife believe it or not, suggested the extension cord hanging on the wall. It worked very well. The plastic coating of the extension cord kept the fiberglass edge of the top snagging on the rope when I pushed the window out.

I haven't tried putting it back in using the extension cord, but I expect it will work just as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts