Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I cut down an old top from a wrecked bronco and used expandable foam, fiberglass, and body putty to fill the voids and give it shape. Then I used color matched roll on bed liner to give a texture similar to the original.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,984 Posts
Looks nice, Only other I have seen this sort of done was Ranger429's 79. He did it as to mount an old school soft top without drilling into the body.
This is a great idea and I bet will look great when installed. This spot always looks un-finished with the topper off. I have also caught stuff on there getting in/out by jumping over the bed side

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,980 Posts
Let's see some installed pics already!!! Lol

Looks great! Though I would have just made a single piece, including the part on the roofline. Does give me an idea, you could do as you did, but graft the rear window opening in as the side uprights and roofline. You could even wire it up for the third brake light to work, if applicable. Would give it a really nice finished look.

I've also thrown around the idea of chopping the rearmost pillars out of the topper, dropping the rear, and making a hard top slant back. I've never seen it done before. Or even slice the middle of the topper out so passengers could still ride.

I have visions of chopping those diamond plate pickup bed rail covers up and making something similar to cover the rails too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the pic loaded this time.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,977 Posts
That's pretty cool... Curious tho, couldn't u just run with the topper trim and get the same effect?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'm kind of confused what you're asking?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you talking about the trim that goes on the inside when you have the top on?

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
125 Posts
Wow I'm highly impressed! When I see this I think, god it looks like it shoudve always been there. I hope to eventually do a softtopper but I'd love to do this to mine

·
Registered
1988 Ford Bronco XLT
24 Posts
Wow, looks great! Great fab work!

Reactions: ljhind

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not really a fan of the top-off look but this looks damn fine! Really finishes it. Might change my mind!

Reactions: ljhind
1 - 20 of 25 Posts