Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 81 FSB is topping out at about 55 at 3000 rpm. Its a stock motor w/a K&N drop in filter and a flowmaster muffler. I have 31's and a 2 bbl holley carb, and about a week ago I drove it and noticed that the carb seemed a little clogged, so I pulled the float bowl and noticed that one of the jets had some junk in it, so I pulled the jets and cleaned them out. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of how to get her to go faster.
Thanks, FARTMAN....

:banghead

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You did change the fuel filter right? My yota did the same thing a few weeks ago, and when I pulled the filter off rusty gas came out.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I changed the filter. Did a major tune up on it last year including plugs, wires, cap rotor, coil, ign box. etc. etc.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
im iwht everyone else you aint shifting into third bro.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can feel it shifting into 3rd. I can downshift from D to 2 and really feel the difference, so I believe that it is shifting. If its the tranny not shifting what should I be expecting?

·
Registered
490 Posts
before you go given him prices. why dont you check your tranny dipstick and makesure you dont have water in the tranny. i just junked a bronco that had water int he tranny. the radiator bit the dust internally and put water in the thing. not liek i cared since it was getting scrapped. c6's are hard to kill. liek the damn eneregizer bunny. keep going and going and going. ;)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If you are shifting into 3rd gear, then it's time to either 1. regear or 2. step up the tire size. 3k rpms @ 55 is just way too much.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the way home last night it was crusing at 60 no problem. Why regear with 31's?

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
fartman said:
On the way home last night it was crusing at 60 no problem. Why regear with 31's?

Becuase 3.73 are ideal for 31s, but thats what i think. i see no need for a regear either. there are other problems other than gears if you are topping at 55-60

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Yeah I have 31s and 3.55s in the 84, and I go a lot faster than 55 at 3K in third. You got major slippage, whats the fluid like?

Adrianspeeder

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
When I am in 3rd gear with my 4:11 gears and 33" tires (speedo adjusted to tires) and doing 3k I am travelling 75 miles an hour

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
fartman said:
My 81 FSB is topping out at about 55 at 3000 rpm. Its a stock motor w/a K&N drop in filter and a flowmaster muffler. I have 31's and a 2 bbl holley carb, and about a week ago I drove it and noticed that the carb seemed a little clogged, so I pulled the float bowl and noticed that one of the jets had some junk in it, so I pulled the jets and cleaned them out. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of how to get her to go faster.
Thanks, FARTMAN....

:banghead
What gears do you have in the the rear end? I have 31's with 3.08 gears and it runs around 2100 at 60.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe the gearing is all stock like the rest of the truck. Will see if I can find a tag..

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Door jam sticker if it is still readable, post up the axle code. If not, jack up the rear axle and spin the tire exactly once. With a mark on the drive shaft count how many times it spins.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
119 Posts
Will it turn over 3k in 1st and 2nd gear? Is it falling on it's face if you try and give it more gas or is it flat to the floor at 55mph?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
fartman said:
Axle code H6
That code says it is a Ford limited slip 3.50:1. You should b turning about 2100 RPM at 55 with a 3.5:1. I suspect that someone has geared it down a bit from the original. I'd gues it has some where around 4.88 gears in it or you've got a transmission or converter problem.

Goood luck,

:thumbup

1 - 20 of 43 Posts