Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would love a plasma, but want to cut 3/8 so cost becmes an issue. How poor are Oxy torches in comparison?

I konw oxy leaves more slag and cleaning up, but I like that you can use them to heat and bend metal. any other pros and cons.

till now i have always used chop saws, band saws and angle grinders. I want FIRE

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The torch is my favorite because of how versatile it is and how many things it cab do that a plasma cant.....if its in the right hands of course. I even had a plasma that I sold because I just never used it much, always grabbed the torch instead. The slag and cleanup is not bad at all after you get good with it. Its really is no better or worse than how the plasma cuts. If you not that good it can be a bitch.

For example, thats an unfinished, ungrinded cut with a torch on 1/2" steel

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Exactly what Mike just said.Out of the welding shops ive worked at the plasma planted on the shelf most of the time.There is just so much more you can do with a torch and the skills you will learn while using a torch are invaluably:thumbup

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I still like plasma better for most cutting, but Mikes right about the torch being more flexible. The thing I hate about the torch is having to screw with gas bottles, which is going to be somewhat of a headache no matter what. Seems like mine always run out late on a weekend when you can't get them exchanged. I also like that I have an easier time following a cut line with the plasma because the flame from the torch chars the workpiece to the point you can't see it.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I absolutely hate using a torch to cut plate. Clean up is a LOT more work after torch cutting than it is after plasma cutting. I used torches for years, I'll never go back as long as a plasma is available. The plasma is also better for cutting thin metal, and will cut aluminum and copper where a torch won't. The upside of a torch is that you don't need 220V and an air compressor to make it work.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Larston said:
I absolutely hate using a torch to cut plate. Clean up is a LOT more work after torch cutting than it is after plasma cutting. I used torches for years, I'll never go back as long as a plasma is available. The plasma is also better for cutting thin metal, and will cut aluminum and copper where a torch won't. The upside of a torch is that you don't need 220V and an air compressor to make it work.

yup and it has alot more heat distortion than a plaz. I want to get a ood set of torches mainly for heating and bending shit. but I do love my plasma and wouldnt trade it for the world

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Dustin said:
yup and it has alot more heat distortion than a plaz. I want to get a ood set of torches mainly for heating and bending shit. but I do love my plasma and wouldnt trade it for the world
Thats a good point. On thin sheet best to use something other than the torch.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
The thing I hate about the torch is having to screw with gas bottles, which is going to be somewhat of a headache no matter what. Seems like mine always run out late on a weekend when you can't get them exchanged.
Yeah, but that's kinda like saying you hate your Bronc 'cause you have to fill the gas tank. The tanks are what make a torch completely portable. Carry it out to the driveway, take it to the middle of 100acre plot, it still works. That'd take one heck of an extension cord.............

Damon, never used it, but heard good things:
http://www.cutlikeplasma.com/

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
Larston said:
Torches are hard to use as well, and take a long time to get good with.
Plasmas are point and shoot.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I like Victor over anything else. Its a very quality torch, and my local auto parts store carrys the entire Victor line, so if I need tips or anything else its only 30 minutes away.

This is a 2100 Scrappers torch in the 18" version. I think I'm going to get a 30" torch too, beause sometimes this one is too short. Another thing I didn't mention earlier, don't get a convertable torch wher eyou can change all the heads, a dedicated cutting torch is so much easier to use. And don't get one thats too short, the longer the better.

this one was $225 if I remember right, then the hoses are another $50

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I have Smiths on my mobile rig and in the shop..love their stuff and been using it for 30 years but its no longer in production as far as I know. Victor is good..

Plasma is great (ours is an 80A Esab) but I could not live without the torches. You can't do any of the the following with plasma:

- Cut bolts, rivet heads, unwanted junt parts, etc, cleanly and quickly when ripping a rig apart.
- use it to apply heat to extract stuck bolts or loosen parts that are siezed to each other
- heat metal to bend and form it, either to a desired new shape..or back to its original shape.:toothless
-burn the rubber out of spring eyes and other stuff to make getting the rest out easy
-Cut anything that is shaped or located in such a manner that you cannot get a nice clean contact angle and distance with the plasma torch.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
bmc69 said:
- Cut bolts, rivet heads, unwanted junt parts, etc, cleanly and quickly when ripping a rig apart.
- use it to apply heat to extract stuck bolts or loosen parts that are siezed to each other
- heat metal to bend and form it, either to a desired new shape..or back to its original shape.:toothless
-burn the rubber out of spring eyes and other stuff to make getting the rest out easy
-Cut anything that is shaped or located in such a manner that you cannot get a nice clean contact angle and distance with the plasma torch.
I don't agree with the first one. I've torn apart a couple vehicles now with the plasma alone and am getting ready to do another when it warms up enough to keep the garage doors open. It's great for taking out bolts, rivets, u-bolts, body panels, and so on. The other points are exactly the reasons I keep a torch around.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
bmc69 said:
I disagree here, too. I've cut probably 40-50 rivets off various Ford frames for shackle flips or SAS's using my plasma. I can shave the head off w minimal slag, burn a pin-hole in the rivet body and then knock it out w the air hammer.

From what I've seen it's just as fast as a torch for this application. However I agree a torch would be superior if you were just quickly trying to tear an entire rig into pieces for scrap.

·
Registered
940 Posts
plug ugly said:
would love a plasma, but want to cut 3/8 so cost becmes an issue. How poor are Oxy torches in comparison?

I konw oxy leaves more slag and cleaning up, but I like that you can use them to heat and bend metal. any other pros and cons.

till now i have always used chop saws, band saws and angle grinders. I want FIRE
i have to agree that if you get good with the torch you can make some really clean slag-free cuts. my teacher is incredible.
i have been using both a victor and harris rig in class, and i think i will go with a harris when i buy one. oh yeah, and you can braze too. the other day i brazed a hole closed on a cast iron manifold easy as 123. no preheat/spotwelding blah blah that you have to do when welding cast.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I have a harris and its a POS. Parts are hard to find, and the tips are 4 times as expensive as Victor tips.

·
Registered
940 Posts
MikE2 said:
I have a harris and its a POS. Parts are hard to find, and the tips are 4 times as expensive as Victor tips.
Really? i am surprised. what model is it? the main reason i am leaning toward harris is the setup on the handle with the mix knobs makes it much more comfortable to weld over the victor.. i am not going to be getting an electric welder for awhile, so i will be using the torch to weld.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Ive got harris set up, but I cant recall the model right now. Ive been happy with it and have no complaints.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts