Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be doing a fluid change for my tranny and hopefully my TC. I read the tech article about how to go about this, but my question is when i drain the TC, its completely empty, no fluid in it. so when i put some new fluid into the tranny and start the truck and let it idle like the tech article says, wont the Torque converter be spinning with no fluid in it when i first start it and let it idle? since it takes time for fluid to get pumped back into it....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, but you will be just fine man. If you drained all the fluid, put new fluid in with the engine off, fired up your rig and tried driving off right away then you could damage something. If you follow all the proper directions then you will be just fine.

Remember to cycle through the gears after you put the new fluid in then with the truck idling in park or neutral check the fluid level. If its correct then go for a short drive around your "hood" and check the level again.

While you're at it, why not consider adding an external cooler, fluid filter and possibly a shift kit? Now's the right time if you are considering any of those.
i agree with what timmy said, except that these trucks need the trans fluid level checked with the engine running/transmission in PARK. Neutral will give you a false reading.

also, look up the spec for a full fluid change including dropping the pan and draining the converter. i always like to just fill it most of the way up before starting it so the trans isn't starved for fluid at all when you first start it.

and that dipstick tube is long, it's going to take a long time for the fluid to drain down, so you will get bogus readings due to the fluid still draining down the sides of the filler tube. thats another reason why i look up the spec and dump most of the ATF in before i do my final top off and fluid check. saves a lot of time.
Only when you replace your TC do you need to worry about fluid being in there as it is common procedure to dump @ least a quart of fluid in the TC before install/start-up. This is because the TC is totally dry from the factory. Yours @ least has a resin of fluid that's not going to drain out 'til the pump picks up suction and fills it to proper level.

Thin Blue Line: I purchased a valve body kit for my '91 AOD that I put in my '79 lariat. It's made by Gil Younger and improved shift quality immensely. I mention this as the AOD had almost 200,000 miles on it and I know they offer kits for e40d's as well. The pump is getting weak now (imagine that) but the shifts are still much firmer than they used to be.
Thank you everybody for the replies, it makes sense now, atleast now i know t wont hurt my tranny, so i will follow the Hot to article to the T. Thanks again :thumbup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.