Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
It need ATF(automatic transmission fluid). I used Dexron III in my AOD and it works great.

I can't remember how much these things hold so hopefully someone else will chime in soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Mrit said:
It need ATF(automatic transmission fluid). I used Dexron III in my AOD and it works great.

I can't remember how much these things hold so hopefully someone else will chime in soon.
I don't know either, I just keep pouring until it full.
 

·
negative creep
Joined
·
8,651 Posts
look in your owners manuals you dummies. it will tell you how much fluid it takes. supposedly, up to 1/2 the fluid can be in the torque converter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always go straight to my Hayne's which said nothing about what to put in the converter. Thanks for the help everybody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
mg38024 said:
I always go straight to my Hayne's which said nothing about what to put in the converter. Thanks for the help everybody.
IF the front pump is working, and i presume it was before you drained it down, you did pull the plug out of the converter and drain it didn't you? Oh any way, if you did, when you fill the transmission via the fill tube with the appropriate ATF(whatever manual tells you to use)it will fill the torque converter when you start it up to check level. You are aware that you must have engine running and IN PARK to properly check level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I drained it. I had no idea the converter could be filled through the transmission tube. I was worried because I'm reinstalling the engine in the next few days. Still trying to find a new oil dipstick tube since the old one got mashed up when the engine was removed. No luck with salvage yards so far, but I'm searching again tomorrow. I'm sure not paying $60 for one from a dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
mg38024 said:
Yeah, I drained it. I had no idea the converter could be filled through the transmission tube. I was worried because I'm reinstalling the engine in the next few days. Still trying to find a new oil dipstick tube since the old one got mashed up when the engine was removed. No luck with salvage yards so far, but I'm searching again tomorrow. I'm sure not paying $60 for one from a dealer.
Carry what you have left of it into a transmission shop, not a national chain but one where the owner actually works and beg for one, offer to sweep the floor or something, I'd about bet you'll come away with a freebie.
 

·
press ALT+F4
Joined
·
4,281 Posts
I think the only way to change converter fluid would be to drain it, flip the truck on its roof, and fill it. Then you could put the plug back in the full converter and flip the truck back right-side-up. The tranny fluid might run out though, so you'd have to be fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
78bronco460 said:
I think the only way to change converter fluid would be to drain it, flip the truck on its roof, and fill it. Then you could put the plug back in the full converter and flip the truck back right-side-up. The tranny fluid might run out though, so you'd have to be fast.
Yep, that'll work too. I did that once but not intentionally. And come to think about it none of it ran back out either.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top