Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I'm in the middle of installing a rebuilt E4OD and had a few questions 'bout the torque converter.

First, about how much fluid do I need to put into the converter before putting it on the trans? It is new and dry.

Second, what is the proper method of "seating" the torque converter? I've searched the forums and saw people talking about this, but no specific instructions.

And any other tips on installing a freshly rebuilt E4OD would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-AW

·
Registered
566 Posts
fill it to the top.

i believe something about 3 turns then it will seat in properly. Make sure the bell housing of the tranny sits out farther then the t.q. otherwise the t.q. didn't seat in all the way.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
you can either fill the torque convertor first or put it in there and it will fill when you fill the tranny. i believe total tranny adn torque convertor hold like 16 quarts.

ken

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
:stupid

It's not going to really do much of anything if you did fill it. Even then it'd only be half full (see? I'm an optimist! :toothless ).

For proper seating, you'll be a little farther ahead if you check the position of the two flats on the front pump. If you can start the converter onto the input shaft & stator clocked to the same position, it'll engage the pump faster. Also, be VERY CAREFUL with that teflon seal that's on the outside of the stator shaft! You don't want to knick that because if the seal fails, your torque converter will not lock. Bad things happen afterward. If in doubt, replace it now while it's easy. You can hold it in place with a bit of vaseline, which also serves as a lubricant.

Take your time, push it on square and true, and everything should go smoothly. Slowly rotate it after you get it engaged into the pump, while pushing, to be sure the splines engage, and you can drive it home. :thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts