Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the tranny out of my 92 351w to replace the torque converter. It shifts O.K but shudders and it will barely turn the rear tires under a power brake with pedal to the floor. Went to the shop that sells refurb converters to get a new one today and the guy says "You don't need a new converter, you need a solenoid pak and a shift kit, we see this all the time." But I'm wondering where my low end "take off power" went and what caused it to go. I've heard and read the actual TC causes this power loss and have a hard time believing a solenoid pak and shift kit is going to give it back. I guess I don't mind buying both cause I don't want to pull the tranny again until I have to. With the core the refurb TC is about $135.00. I've already spent $200.00 on the solenoid and kit. Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Soundslike that guy is full of shit. If he sees it all the time he would know that it's the TC. The TC is what causes the shudder, that is very well known and has been for over 10 years. The solenoid pack can go bad and cause problems but it doesn't sound like it's the problem in your case. If the sol pack was bad you would probably have problems with your shifting(the few times I've replaced them I always a shifting problems). The few times I've encountered the shudder it was always the TC. I really would insist on doing the TC while you're at it or else you'll be sorry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, it confirms my belief. I'm definitely getting the TC tomorrow. Kinda hate spending extra $ on the solenoid but while I've got it apart I won't regret it later.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
A shift kit for these E4OD's, from what i hear isn't a bad idea. Gives you a nice firm shift, instead of the long smooth factory shift. It helps keep from burning them up.

I was thinking about installing one in the E4OD i am going to have rebuilt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies fella's I'll post later with an update after I get it back together. I'm also replacing the timing chain and gears. Maybe she'll wake up after this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts