Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my diesel f-250 with a 4r100 transmission. I know it's not a bronco, I'm not asking about a specific thing with this truck, it's general torque converter stuff..

I have a choice of a low stall or a high stall converter.

My understanding of this is a low stall means it locks up at lower speeds, which sounds better for towing, and should help my miles per gallon... is this correct? If so then why would someone want a high stall converter? Ride quality through smoothness of shifting with the higher RPMs?

I am a member of the powerstroke forum, but it doesn't seem to have quite as many folks on there as here.

anyhow, any folks with some real knowledge on that issue would be appreciated...

thanks

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
A higher stall torque converter is ideal for engines that have their peak torque higher up in the powerband. You don't want the torque converter locking up before the engine has the oomph to do the work.

For you, with a diesel and towing, a lower stall is ideal.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, so the high stall would be more for a gas engine coupled to a 4r100. Thanks for enlightening me...

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Depends on the gas engine. A 460 has a lot more lower torque than a 302 so a higher stall would be ideal for the 302. I do believe the 460 uses the same stall as a diesel.

If you get a converter with a stall higher than the majority of the time you're spending your towing RPMs in, it'll be constantly slipping and creating tons of heat.

First vid on youtube I found about high stall converters-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XE1_lU4PhE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts