Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

For a while now, I have been having a torque converter clutch lockup issue and have just lived with it (simply because the pain of pulling the TC or the ECU was not something I was willing to do yet).

Recently, I secured a 5.8 out of a 96 to swap out for the 5.0 in the turd. While the motor is out, I thought I would swap the TC out and will be swapping the ECU out for a 95 5.8 MAF as well.

So, that addresses what I have narrowed down the the last two things that could be causing the issue, the ECU and the TC...

So, my question is this. What TC (brand, place to buy and feedback on stall speeds) would you guys recommend? From what I have read in the past, sticking with the stock stall speed is the way to go. I dont plan on building this 5.8 out much. Maybe headers and if I get real crazy, intakes and a cam in the distant future... so its going to be basically stock for a long time.

I am trying to stay below 300 bucks if possible, and preferably, at or below 250... the engine has already exhausted my funds and so I am scraping up cash to get this done, mostly because its a better time than ever to eliminate the TC as the possible issue...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay... let me rephrase my run-on question.

Who in here has purchased a torque converter for their E4OD, where did you get it, how much did you pay and is it any good???

:thumbup

Any feedback appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Custom Level 10 PTS Billet Torque Converter. Has a custom pump, stator and turbine. Also has billet internals combined with an anti balloon plate and a high-performance lock-up clutch. $1200.00.

Although you can get a Torque Converter for much less, I think $250 - $300 will be your issue.

You know, I had you in mind when I posted this... I was wondering what TC you had in that fancy E4OD of yours!! Lol.... yeah, 1200 is slightly out of my current budget range...

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya know, I would think about going to a trusted transmission shop and see what they are using and why. This may be closer to your budget range. Most other people probably are using OEM unless they are doing significant upgrades for performance. How about a used parts E4OD?
Yeah, I have a couple feelers out right now locally. Was hoping some of our FSB peeps had some feedback as well. Also just PMd Paul (thePUNISHER) so we will see what he has to say. As I mentioned, I do not think I am going to be upgrading anything enough that an OEM TC wouldnt work.

As far as used parts E4OD, this is a used TC and is my second one. I am sorta gun shy of used TCs now, so am going new this time to eliminate it as an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Transmission guy supplied my torque converter when he built my transmission. According to him it cost $500.00ish. It is a very stoutly built externally and according to him would handle my needs. It was a towing style. I am not 100% convinced the towing torque converter is the way to go for my driving taste. I can't help you with a name brand, but like Seattle FSB don't think your price range is high enough and also suggest talking with a transmission shop for choices.

I know you don't want to hear this, but it is probably worth spending the money on a good one for the same reasons you put off looking into the issue until now. (sorry, sorry, don't hit me! lol)

tim

·
Registered
580 Posts
Stay with the stock stall rpm. Find out where the local auto tranny supplier is in your town. Whatever it takes is usually a national chain and may have one near you. If not it shouldnt be hard to find out who and where the tranny shops get their parts in town. Go to that place and get a double clutch case hardened torque converter. You should be in the budget at $300.00. I think I paid $250.00 for the one in my E4OD. Whatever brand the supplier sells will be fine as far as quality goes. If they sell to the commercial garages then they arent pedaling junk. Brand names can cost extra if you are not careful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts