Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my Transgo shift kit put in the other day, and it cleaned up the shifts a lot, but there was a lot of metal on the magnet and the filter when the tranny was torn down....I just changed everything less than 3k miles ago so it has to be the torque converter.....am I correct in this asumption?

Who makes a good, reliable torque converter for the E4OD?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
How much is "a lot"? If it's covered in gray fuzz, about a couple of millimeters, I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, if you did a rebuild and didn't replace the torque converter, I think that's just plain

Look into Precision Industries in Whiteville, TN for a good torque converter.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a rebuild on the engine, and then added a shift kit...figured tranny was fine.... but now Im not so sure....207k miles i think may say otherwise....

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
207k on the orginal trans. be happy. just get it rebuilt and updated

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the tranny is still strong though.....thats the problem...thats why I think it is the torque converter

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
why do you think it is the TC?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the tranny had good disks and its still strong and doesn't ever slip in gear....... the issues are when changing gears, hence why I got the shift kit for it.... its feels slow going from 1st to 2nd like it drags its out, and when I go to reverse it clunks

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
207k the clunk can be just worn out driveline, rear axle, or motor/tranny mounts, tcase is getting tired.

just a little google reading it looks like TC's are damn near indestructable compared to the rest of the trans. but keep in mind if one or the other goes out your replacing both. So you lay out cash for that new TC and the trans takes a shit your buying another one.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will take it to the tranny shop here and have them inspect both and tell me what I need

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you installed the transgo kit that involved taking the front part of the trans out (which it sounds like it cause you said the disks were good) you should have just rebuilt it while you had it 1/2 way apart.

why do you say the disks look good?
you might have an internal leak in the hydrolic circuit somewere. The shift kit boost the pressure to make up for it, but the leak is still there.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there is no fluid leaking anywhere.....which is amazing!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
The leak he's referring to would be internal. You have alot of internal seals on the shafts and the clutch packs. Don't guess you took a picture of the magnet before cleaning it off did you?

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Sounds to me like you may have just started seeing the indications that your trans was starting to crap out... you installed the shift kit (based on those indications) and it probly didnt do much for the fact that its on its way out... now you are seeing it deteriorate even further. At that kinda mileage, I agree with Jopes, be happy. You are lucky. The E4ODs usually (and I say USUALLY) crap out around 140-150K. If it were me, I would run it the way it is, add an after market tranny filter and probly a filter mag til it died, or pull it and have it rebuilt now if funds allow.... (they dont for me so I would run that biznitch til it was perty much dead, sort of like I am doing right now with mine!).

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I will take it to the tranny shop here and have them inspect both and tell me what I need
You're going to tell them it has 200+ thousand miles on it, and they're gonna tell you it needs a rebuild.

They'll tell you it needs a rebuild no matter what. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't thing the 37" tires help it either....lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to re-gear it soon....but I think the tranny is more important right now

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
I'm going to re-gear it soon....but I think the tranny is more important right now
wrong. E4's hate heat. Bigger tires, stock gears make that thing heat up fast, killing the E4 even faster.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
guess I'll give Randy's Ring and Pinion a call this week then

·
Registered
959 Posts
guess I'll give Randy's Ring and Pinion a call this week then
Want to pick up a set of 4:56's for me while ur at it (oh yeah and install it for free?)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts