Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, working on my 89 v8 5.8L bronco, my fist car...
I'm restoring the whole thing and needed some help. I need the bolt torque specs for the PS pump. My rear left light is not working either and the alternator securing bolt on the inside is loose. Anything helps :)

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
5,000 Posts
Which bolts are you talking about - the bolts securing the bracket to the head or the pump to the bracket? The bolts holding the bracket to the head are 1/2” bolts and probably 6” long, so I wouldn’t go more than about 60 ft-lb. The bolts holding the pump to the bracket are probably 3/8” bolts about 1.5” long, but I wouldn’t torque those down too hard, maybe 25 ft-lb.

These are by no means Ford factory torque specs, just my estimation. Honestly, I’ve had my pump and bracket off several times and I’ve never properly torqued them down with a torque wrench - just made it nice and snug with a standard 3/8 drive ratchet and never had a problem.

·
I did done broke it
2,410 Posts
This is one of the few times I will reference German engineers, gutentight will do just fine.

·
Super Moderator
29,076 Posts
Yo VROOM,
Following from Chilton,
"...
Note the following torques:

• Pivot bolt (4.9L and 5.0L): 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm)
  • Pump-to-adjustment bracket: 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm)
  • Support bracket-to-engine (5.8L): 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm)
  • Support bracket-to-water pump housing (4.9L): 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm)
  • Support bracket-to-water pump housing (5.0L, 5.8L): 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm)
  • Pressure line-to-fitting: 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm)
  • Adjustment bracket-to-support bracket: 4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L: 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm); 7.5L and Diesel: Long bolt-65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm)
  • Short bolt-45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm)"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts