Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm not exactly a newbie but since this question never got an answer that seemed to help me out, I thought I'd post it here. My tailgate has become hard to lift. Now I read all the torsion bar posts but everyone seems to say, just get rid of the bar. I'd really like to fix it, as I have shoulder problems and that dead weight isn't much fun to lift. Can't I just replace the brackets? Is it that difficult to do? The bar itself is ok, a little surface rust but not rusted through. I didn't see anything about fixing brackets, but the one on the drivers side seems to be the culprit. How do I remove and get a new one in? Any info would be appreciated.:notworthy

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Removing the old bracket isn't much of a problem, usually. They're (poorly) spot-welded in place, so a drill can be used to help facilitate removal. Many Bronco owners have used small U-bolts, sold as steel cable accessories, as replacement torsion bar brackets. Since they would be fastened by nuts on the opposite side the torsion bar resides, i.e. toward the vehicle cab, there is little chance of the new U-bolt "bracket" letting go at an inopportune time.

You might find these helpful:

And especially these:

Don't worry if the links don't work. SuperMotors.net is acting funky, so a refresh and/or waiting a short time usually alleviates most problems.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
are you talking about the brackets inside the tailgate? if so they just bolt on from underneath and there is only one on the pass side rr pillar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Yeah I meant the ones inside the tailgate, I'm going to try the u bolt next. I saw that but I wasn't sure if it was the right thing or not. I appreciate the help! :thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts