Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Torsion System Broken in tailgate EDIT: Now about T-bar removal

The red circle indicates the bracket that has broken inside my tailgate. Everytime I lower the tailgate, the torsion bar rests on the window
(since I figured this out, I have NOT lowered the tailgate.) Also, the wires connected to the window are getting caught on the broken bracket.

How do I fix this??? Should I remove the torsion bar? Fix the bracket?? I'd like to fix it in the easiest way possible that allows full use of my tailgate window and tailgate.

EDIT: found my answer here. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22165&highlight=broken+tailgate Will be going with the U-bolt fix. Pics of repair below at post #8:

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Remove the torsion bar.

At the worst imaginable time, you'll have it fixed, put the window down and lower the tailgate, and some other part of it will fail, and it'll flip in there and smash your window.

It sucks. :duh

The tailgate isn't that hard to put up without the torsion bar in there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine cost me a window. Undo #6 in the picture and slip the end of the bar into #14 and leave the cable loose. Works on mine until I get a new rear gate.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, so now the thread is going in the direction of removing my torsion bar. I can deal without it I'm sure.

So, I read Steve 83's tailgate tech and found that is one of the last pictures, it says the tailgate must be removed to remove the torsion bar. This can be done without doing all the stuff that Steve83 did before this picture was shown (basically, can it be done without removing the window and stuff)?

Regarding removal, my Haynes says

1. Unlatch and lower tailgate.
2. Disconnect left and right cable assemblies at the tailgate.
3. Disconnect the tailgate window motor wire at the connector. Pull the lead wire from the tailgate rail.
4. Support the tailgate while slightly open, and remove the torsion bar retainer from the body
5.Remove three left and right hinge assemblies to the body.
6. Remove tailgate.
7. Installation is the reverse of removal

Everything sound good? Any advice or experience someone could share with removing tailgate?

My main concern here is not breaking the window that is still in one piece during this removal...so I need to be very careful on #4...

Thanks guys

EDIT: Opted against removal, check post #1

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, if I take the tailgate off will I have to go through the very length "tailgate allignment" procedure??

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you remove the rear access panel and put the window about half-way up (with the tailgate down), you could probably cut the bar with a cut off wheel and remove it in pieces. The torsion bar will most definitely not come out in one piece with the gate still fully attached.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I got it fixed!

FIRST: I disconnected the bar from the truck to make things safer and easier. Its much better to work with something that is not under stress and tension...

I picked up a 5/16 inch U-bolt at the local hardware store and drilled two holes in the tailgate to fit it thought with the U facing up. I put the torsion bar through the U and sandwiched it between the U and the backside of the tailgate. Put a little plate on the top with two lock nuts, sawed off the extra threads and im done! As for the bracket, instead of making a mess and cutting it I just bent it back in place. Now that it is not weight bearing it will not bend again.

I tried lifting the TG when the T-bar was disconnected from the truck and i said HELL NO! I had to have that pesky bar.

I also took the opportunity to grease those window gears as suggested by many.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My bar broke while the gate was down and thankfully didn't break the glass! I went to a local yard and took a bar out of an 89. I was able to get it out without removing the gate. All I did was unbolt the two holders in the gate (after taking of the tension), pulled the bar loose so it would slide free and then loosened the bolts holding the passenger side hinge to the gate. That gave me enough room to slide the bar out.

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
How can this bar breaking / brakcet breaking end up breaking a window?

There are two bracket-torsion bar peices to hold it in place.
mj

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
How can this bar breaking / brakcet breaking end up breaking a window?

There are two bracket-torsion bar peices to hold it in place.
mj
One usually rots out and breaks away, second one follows suit.

Crash. Broken window.

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
B4L, you wrote that the Tgate isn't that bad raising w/o the torsion bar. others seemed to disagree. do you still maintain its not that bad? I am trying to decide whether or not to put the old one in my new T gate.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
B4L, you wrote that the Tgate isn't that bad raising w/o the torsion bar. others seemed to disagree. do you still maintain its not that bad? I am trying to decide whether or not to put the old one in my new T gate.
wussies! :goodfinge

I mean, yeah, it's definitely a difference... but up here in the rust belt, I wouldn't take the chance of having it pop my window. For as much as I actually open my tailgate, not just roll the window down to grab stuff, it's worth it to just have no torsion bar, and have to lift about 30lbs of tailgate to shut it, and it's only heavy until you get it about 2/3 of the way up, and then it's resting on itself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with Bronco4life. My bronco has never had the torsion bar working since i bought it back in 2002. I also live in the rust belt and to me its not worth it to risk the glass being broken, especially because of winter. i also think that the tailgate is not heavy without the torsion bar. I can close mine one handed whenever i drop it. Normally i just roll down the window though. My tailgate is shot anyway and the bottom is mostly rusted out thanks to road salt so I am not too concerned with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I definitely agree with the last two post, since I had one break my window JUST TODAY, that SOB is coming out!!! There is hardly any tension on mine now and I'm hoping to cut it out with a saw-zaw, anybody ever tried this? By the way, mine broke the weld on the driver side at the very end of the the torsion bar, just like Steve83 said could happen in his tech write up. I also considered your fix GREATWHITE, but I'm so pissed at the torsion bar that cutting it up will be a pleasure!!!

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
why not just remove the S shaped bracket that attaches it to the body? two 5/16" bolts IIRC, much easier then opening up the t-gate internals, IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts